Reporting to the Ecuador Country Director, the Program Manager is responsible for the continuous development and oversight of our operations in the provinces of Canar and Azuay (known as the ‘Southern Hub’). The Program Manager will lead the local team responsible for overseeing up to 50 fellows in the region, and all other stakeholders of the Global Citizen Year program. She or he will ensure the proper preparation, delivery and evaluation of the Program at a regional level.
You are looking for a job that taps into your personal leadership potential. You’re thirsty to work with an organization that gives you significant responsibility and training that will help you move toward becoming the leader and professional you want to be in this world.
You are energized when put in your “stretch zone”. You’re up for a challenge. You’re eager to learn. You enjoy working hard and are willing to do what it takes to get the job done. You want feedback. You want to be held to high standards of professionalism and performance.
You are entrepreneurial, adaptable, and enjoy working independently and as part of a team. You are a skilled problem solver and self-starter. You are driven to find answers and thrive in ever-changing conditions. You like forging your own path and working independently while ensuring your work is of benefit to others.
- Help build and strengthen the Global Citizen Year culture amongst all stakeholders (Staff, Local Partners, Fellows, etc.)
- Provide crucial leadership to all stakeholders
- Maintain high standards for performance from all stakeholders
- Represent Global Citizen Year and its mission locally and beyond
- Manage the local team; 3-5 Team Leaders, Local Advisors, Interns, etc.
- Support and mentor team members in their development as leaders and professionals
Networking & Relationship Management
- Develop strategic partnerships that support the Global Citizen Year program and mission
- Manage relationships with key partners such as the language school, other service providers, strategic Apprenticeship Host partners and other strategic partners
- Ensure the high quality delivery of our program, including:
- Fellow coaching & trainings (Training seminars & others), and on-going fellow support
- Program development: find and vet potential sites and partners
- Training and ongoing support of local partners
Health and safety management & emergency response
- Appropriately manage and mitigate the risks associated with the program
- Manage medical and non-medical incidents
- Support emergency response
- Strengthen local health & safety networks
- Oversee implementation of Organizational systems
Hiring, on-boarding and training staff
- Support the Country Director in recruiting qualified staff
- Oversee on-boarding process of new staff
- Support the training of staff
- Manage the budget for program-related events
- Manage the local office
- Manage local program administration with support of the Country Director
- Lead and/or participate in projects and initiatives at a local, national and Global level
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Position is based in Cuenca with regular travel around operating areas
- 2+ years of management experience
- 2+ years experience supporting youth/young adults, ideally in an international setting, including responsibility for assessing and managing risks
- Proven ability to work within a team
- Proven ability to work under stressful conditions
- Mission-driven: Demonstrated commitment to the mission and vision of Global Citizen Year.
- Exceptional cross-cultural communicator: Able to connect and communicate effectively with a diverse range of geographically dispersed individuals (Fellows, Staff, Local Partners,, etc.); High energy, an empathetic listener, and inspires confidence and calm under pressure. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Systematic and detail-oriented: Able to document and organize information quickly and systematically, with an eye for detail without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- IT systems capabilities: Microsoft Office, Google Apps
- WFA (Wilderness First Aid) certification and/or similar certifications related to risk management, health and safety
- Experience in developing and implementing risk management systems, ideally in an international setting
- International program experience: Direct personal experience participating in and, ideally, leading education programs abroad.
- Experience working and/or living in Ecuador, and ideally the provinces of Azuay and Canar
- Experience using Salesforce
Competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and comprehensive benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Full professional proficiency in Spanish and English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
In your online application, please indicate how you learned of the opening and provide three professional references, your salary requirement and the date you would be available to begin full-time work in Oakland. Generic cover letters will not be reviewed.
Deadline: Applications received by July 1st will receive preferential review. The review will continue until the position is filled.
Global Citizen Year is an equal opportunity employer. We know a diverse team produces the best results and we believe our team should reflect the diversity of leadership we aim to inspire. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.