11 West 42nd Street
ExpandED Schools is dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched education experiences. We give children more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with enrichments in literacy, STEM, arts, and sports and opportunities to build character and leadership skills. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
· EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
· ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, college students and teaching artists – into the classroom.
· ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with the arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
Purpose of Position:
The Senior Director, Development is responsible for collaborating on the overall fundraising strategy designed to meet organizational goals and milestones, managing relationships with a major donor portfolio determined to have the ability to make grants of 5-7 figures and for managing the a development team of two responsible for institutional giving, corporate partnership and development operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Establish a strategic and systemic focus on closing commitments/major grants from local and national foundations, corporations, and government through active and personalized identification, cultivation, and stewardship.
· Lead a cross-function team that is charged with advancing fundraising activities to meet institutional giving milestones.
· Develop and implement an operational fundraising plan detailing goals, prospects, targets and status for project-based initiatives.
· Engage senior managers at ExpandED Schools and partner organizations in philanthropic activities, including donor visits and proposal/partnership creation; earn and maintain the confidence of leaders.
· Guide the development of compelling donor communication; help teams refine goals, objectives, operations plans, costs and desired outcomes.
· Report to funders on progress of projects and partnership activities, ensuring accountability and compliance with stated purposes; monitor the progress of projects/partnerships and analyze outcomes.
· Drive ongoing efforts to improve fundraising and communications operations and donor accountability by improving data collection, departmental reporting, donor tracking, contact lists management, grant reporting and timely gift acknowledgment.
· Bachelor’s degree and five to seven years professional fundraising experience required.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; experience with Raiser’s Edge required.
· Development experience and proven track record in building corporate partnerships preferred.
· Supervisory experience in a development function preferred.
Expectations of the Role:
· Successful experience in asking for and closing complex, multi-year six and seven-figure grants.
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including ability to listen, engage and persuade.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, judgment, diplomacy and entrepreneurial spirit.
· Strong organizational and analytical skills with a proven reputation for attention to detail and ability to follow through on multiple initiatives.
· Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of team, and manage multiple projects effectively; highly motivated to meet individual and team goals.
· Acumen in managing, mentoring and coaching direct reports.
· A sense of humor and flexibility.
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
· Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools.
· Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts.
· Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage.
· A generous paid time off package, which includes 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time staff).
· 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
· Commitment to work-life balance.
· Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service.
· Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Position Title. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer