1922 The Alameda
Reporting directly to the Director of Learning and Development, the Learning and Development Manager will refine and implement a learning and development strategy to prepare 138 AmeriCorps members and 15 Impact Staff to deliver high-quality and high-impact service to 13 East San Jose public schools while also developing their leadership capacity. The Learning and Development Manager manages the Learning and Development Coordinator, and the learning content and logistics to ensure that they are making an impact on student course performance, social-emotional learning, and ACM/staff experience. This is a full-time, salaried position.
AmeriCorps Member Learning and Development:
● Refine and implement AmeriCorps member learning and development strategy for the 10- month corps service year, including initial month-long training to prepare them for school based service, ongoing learning and development days, retreats and training summits
● Manage Learning & Development Coordinator ensuring performance goals are strategically defined and executed, and coaching and supporting their professional development
● Facilitate content workshops to groups ranging in size from eight to 138 individuals and including content areas, such as: attendance management, positive behavioral management, English language arts, math, mentoring, tutoring, communications, lesson planning, organizational culture, reflection, and professional career planning
● Manage City Year’s leadership development framework and curriculum for reflection and learning (Idealist/Hero’s Journey)
● Manage the Leadership After City Year program that support AmeriCorps members postservice education and career opportunities, including workshops on resumes, cover letters, and networking
Staff Learning and Development:
● Lead the “Culture of Learning” aspect for the site in building a professional learning community
● Train-the-trainer: Develop facilitation skills and content expertise in staff members supporting AmeriCorps members and service implementation; support staff members in their facilitation of training content areas through session development support, observation and feedback
● Monitor feedback from staff skill development needs, and create and implement internal professional development opportunities for Impact staff, in collaboration with People & Operations staff
Service Impact and Evaluation:
● Evaluate training programs to ensure AmeriCorps member and service partner needs are met by designing surveys, collecting and synthesizing feedback and making training program modifications
● Collaborate with Impact staff members to ensure AmeriCorps members are having an impact in schools and with students, and modify learning and development strategy accordingly
● Assist the Director of L&D in developing, innovating and enhancing service in response to data trends and observed needs, for 13 elementary, middle and high schools, annually impacting over 7,000 students.
External Collaboration and Partnerships:
● Identify, screen, and secure external content experts to serve as trainers
● Oversee Learning & Development Coordinator in planning and logistics for all AmeriCorps member training including identify venues and locations, preparing speakers and facilitators, managing vendor relations, and leading internal communications around training
● Serve as the site liaison to City Year, Inc.’s training and curriculum team at Headquarters and other City Year sites to share best practices and collaborate on national training initiatives and curricula
● Two years of direct managerial experience
● Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university
● Three years of experience teaching OR instructional design of K-12 curriculum
● Experience developing leadership development programming targeted to youth
● Project management: Demonstrated ability to translate project goals into a plan and effectively leverage available resources to meet goals and timeline
● Excellent communication (oral and written) and customer service skills
● Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to manage up, down, and across all levels of the organization
● Demonstrated ability to build professional relationships with diverse peers and external partners
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should complete the online application and attach a resume and thoughtful cover letter in the "Resume/CV" field on the "My Experience" page in the application. Internal applicants should apply through cyresource.