1806 E Yesler Way
Job Description: Small Business Lead Organizer
The Small Business Lead Organizer will conduct grassroots outreach and engagement to develop small business leaders to build power, shape narrative and the public opinion toward long-term structural change through ambitious coordinated national and state campaigns and policy.
Position Overview: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Alliance Action Fund (501(c)(4)) are seeking a talented, self-directed, strategic organizer to reach out to, engage and develop small business owners in target states across Washington. The Washington Lead Organizer will work with Main Street Alliance staff and local and statewide allies in target states to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct canvass-based outreach to recruit small business owners, develop small business leaders, and mobilize small business owners to impact decision-makers, opinion leaders and the media. This position involves frequent travel around the state.
About Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues in cities and states across the country, our policy agenda includes tax and budget fairness, comprehensive immigration reform, money in politics issues and a variety of job quality issues. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
- Organize. Develop small business leaders to build power in Washington and nationally and win campaigns.
- Execute sharp and strategic campaigns. Use your outreach, canvassing, campaign, organizing and leadership development skills execute strategic campaigns developed as a team.
- Relationship development and management. Develop and maintain relationships with small business owners across Washington.
- Make No Small Plans. But do make well-written ones. Work with team to develop monthly (and longer-term) work plans to drive campaigns forward.
- Look to the long-term. Push every campaign to address not just the short-term gains but how they interact with Main Street Alliance’s long-term goals.
- Build deep trust. Invest in relationships with members, leaders and staff in order to deeply understand their self-interest.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. Look for new ways to engage. Take ownership of your work and bring ideas to the table.
- Model our values and culture. Model optimism inside and outside the organization, and reinforce our core values and culture. Model transparent and accountable decision- making, and build this culture on staff.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of 2-3 years experience community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work where you had success in canvass-based organizing and executing campaign plans.
- Similar level of experience developing member leaders.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and strong time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
This position is full-time with a competitive salary, health, and dental coverage after 90 days of employment, 401(k) pension plan, and paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resumé, and references