Details: Commensurate with experience
Title: New York City Senior Organizer
Reports to: National Field Director
Salary: The salary range for this position is $50,700 to $53,000 annually,
commensurate with experience.
Work Schedule: Full-Time, Exempt, Temporary (funding available for two years)
Location: New York City
Date Posted: September 7, 2018
Deadline to Apply: Rolling
The National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum is the only national, multi-issue Asian and Pacific Islander (AAPI) women’s advocacy organization in the United States. We are building a movement to advance social justice and human rights for AAPI women and girls in the U.S. We implement our vision by increasing the leadership, power and visibility of AAPI women and girls through five strategies: grassroots organizing and leadership building; community based research; policy advocacy; and strategic collaborations. Founded in 1996, we are a growing and dynamic organization with staff in three offices and local volunteer-led chapters in fifteen cities.
NAPAWF is seeking a seasoned, independent, and entrepreneurial community organizer in New York City. The Senior Organizer is responsible for growing our base & organizational capacity in New York City, and supporting our New York City chapter leadership in building relationships with a broad array of non-profit organizations, faith-based leadership, and university student leadership centered on building power for AAPI women, girls and GNC individuals around a reproductive justice agenda. The Senior Organizer will be responsible for additionally training local leadership and working with them to develop strong local & national campaign work. This position additionally plays a small supportive role to several other chapters outside of New York, and reports to the National Field Director.
An ideal candidate will have a strong track record of community organizing and commitment to social justice with a proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once, build strong coalitions, and mobilize grassroots leadership. The Senior Organizer must be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a unique and dynamic workload.
The NYC Senior Organizer is responsible for the following:
· Organizing a coalition of AAPI & ally organizations together with our chapter around a local AAPI reproductive justice agenda that is channeled through distinct and creative campaigns that catalyze political, social, and cultural change;
· Working with local chapter leadership to develop community and leadership development structures & programs that will serve to build relationships and community and develop members as reproductive justice leaders.
· Plan, recruit participants for, and facilitate a year-long Reproductive Justice leadership training institute.
· Conducting at least 10 weekly one-on-ones with AAPI & other ally organizations and local leaders to gain deeper insights to the interests and needs among the diverse AAPI communities in NYC.
· Representing NAPAWF within various coalitions and reproductive justice tables in NYC
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship building, are results oriented, and have strong project management skills. You should have:
- A strong commitment to the issues of AAPI and/or immigrant women and girls, health, social justice and human rights.
- Experience in faith-based ministry and/or student organizing or general group leadership
- Experience in leading trainings or in workshop facilitation. Generally strong people skills, and comfort presenting to large groups
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar, and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Openness to learning and working within a small, dynamic and growing organization.
- Canvassing, phone banking or other community outreach experience is a plus.
The person in this position should be able to engage in the diverse demands of the work, including the capacity to remain in a stationary position, operate a computer, and move about the office and outside of the office. They must have the capacity to work evening hours and/or weekends as required. Occasional travel is required.
The person in this position will work from a space provided by a partner organization. This position is based in an office setting.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a 403b plan, and medical, dental, and vision insurance at little to no cost-sharing required. Qualified dependents may also be covered. NAPAWF offers full-time employees paid vacation and sick days. After the first 12 months of employment, personnel are eligible for paid family and parental leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English. Proficiency in an Asian language a plus.
Minimum Education Required