Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
The Full Stack Engineer will join an established team at Kiva during an exciting time of growth and innovation. The ideal candidate takes initiative and is passionate about both our organizational mission and our high standards in engineering. They know that effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox. You are an engineer—not just by title, but by nature—always looking at how things can be improved and examining problems from all angles. You are dedicated to continuous learning, refining your craft, and geeking out on emerging technologies.
This role will be based in San Francisco or Portland, and will report to the Engineering Manager based in Portland. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Help us build out our new Vue.js + GraphQL + Kotlin + Kubernetes microservice based stack
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Solve challenging problems using scalable, loosely coupled services
- Work to create impactful and sustainable solutions to complex problems by taking bold and measured risks
- Balance your technical excellence with a high E.Q., showing up with a sense of empathy, awareness, and responsibility
- Share the knowledge you gain generously with your peers to perpetuate a culture of engineering excellence
- 3+ years relevant coding experience
- Experience with a modern frontend framework or library (VueJS/React/Angular)
- Experience with a systems language such as Kotlin, Java, or Scala
- Experience using and/or creating RESTful APIs and/or GraphQL APIs
- Experience with object-oriented programming
- Solid experience writing well tested code using an xUnit test framework or similar
- Solid experience writing modular, loosely coupled code
- Experience with LAMP Stack or similar (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
- Experience doing Agile development (such as Scrum)
- Experience working for a Fintech company
- Experience with container based development (Docker and Kubernetes)
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual, high performing work environment.
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Minimum Education Required