Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in the places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create for young people in ways they love and interact with. And it's all delivered through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of Role
This position sits within the Gender team, which is the gender technical function that integrates gender technical expertise into Girl Effect’s unique approach to social norm change for girls’ empowerment. The Manager, Gender, supports with the development of the overall global gender strategy, its integration at country level as well as provides gender technical input into organisational processes and products. In practice this means participating in, and managing specific work streams within global and country strategies, playing a key role in gender mainstreaming activities, and supporting/managing specific work streams that support building girl Effect’s approach to social norm change.
What You’ll Do
- Support the development of the global Gender team strategy and its implementation in country
- Support work streams and/or manage pieces of work that provide technical support for existing and new geographies. This could include research; country strategy development and delivery; management of geo specific product design and delivery (strategy, rollout/scale-up, content generation); new partnership product development/rollout.
- Support work streams and/or manage pieces of work that provide gender technical input into the design, strategy development and delivery of existing and future global products. This could include the development and delivery of training, content development and research to fill product knowledge gaps/needs.
- Support work streams and/or manage pieces of work that relate to Girl Effect’s gender technical approach to gender norm change for girls. This could include input into brand and evidence work streams and research; producing briefs and knowledge pieces/tools; research to fill sector knowledge gaps.
- Keep up to date with trends and developments on girls’ rights and gender equality by participating in relevant sector events/meetings.
- Support and manage work streams to mainstream gender equality into organisational policy and practice (e.g. huddles, development and delivery of capacity building initiatives for staff).
- Manage and lead concept development of products and their integration into brand and country strategies that promote deeper brand impact.
- Provide technical support into shaping new business development and partnership opportunities.
Who You Are
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in international development or a relevant subject
- Experience of working on girls’ rights or women’s rights programming and gender equality in a developing country context
- Experience in designing and delivering training around gender related issues
- Demonstrable experience managing programmes or projects to budget and timeframe, from concept development to delivery and evaluation
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- A collaborative team player
- Adaptable - able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments
- Self-starter - confident and proactive in generating and leading new initiatives
- Experience working in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude
- Commitment to gender equality
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Minimum Education Required