About Disability Rights Texas
Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for people with disabilities in Texas. Our mission is to help people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society.
Disability Rights Texas is hiring a full time Vocational Rehabilitation Advocate in Houston, TX with the Client Assistance Program (CAP). This position will be housed in our north Houston office not far from Bush Intercontinental Airport. The Advocate is responsible for receiving rights violations, complaints, determining eligibility under Organization priorities and administering non-litigation case level services. Specifically, this position works with applicants or clients of Texas Workforce Solutions – Vocational Rehabilitation Services. Applicants or clients of Independent Living Centers who have a concerns or issues with their services from any of these agencies directly or through contracted services under the Texas Health and Human Services Commission are also assisted.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assists and advocates on behalf of applicants or clients of vocational rehabilitation services and independent living centers
- monitor facilities, receive rights violations, complaints, and determine eligibility for DRTx services.
- interview clients, review records, and investigate facts to recognize the legal issues in a case and apply a basic understanding of applicable rules, policies and regulations.
- analyze problems and develop case strategies based on client information and case investigation.
- negotiate favorable outcomes and mediate disputes
- supervise referrals and assist attorneys with representation of clients in administrative hearings and trials
- conduct education and training sessions and other outreach initiatives for persons with disabilities, parents, advocates, and professionals/service providers.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or related subject matter plus 2 years demonstrated vocational rehabilitation experience.
- Functional knowledge of complex laws, regulations and programs affecting people with disabilities, specifically in the area of vocational rehabilitation.
- Successfully work well independently in isolated conditions while being supervised and supported by managers and other team members remotely, most often by phone and email.
- Willingness to take direction and independently follow through on instructions timely.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate and resolve conflicts between parties while maintaining professionalism.
- Strong computer / technology literacy.
- High commitment to service excellence while maintaining high degree of integrity, ethics and judgement.
- Paid insurance: health, dental, life, long term care, long term disability.
- Vision discount plan
- Tax-free spending and savings accounts for healthcare related and dependent day care expenses
- Tons of paid time off: 12+ days of accrued paid vacation per year, at hire, increasing with tenure; 12+ days of accrued paid sick time per year, at hire; 2+ days of paid personal time per year, at hire; 15 paid holidays per year, including the the period of December 24 - January 1; up to 6 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child and up to 4 weeks of paid bereavement leave for the death of certain family members
- 401(k) retirement account including a contribution made by DRTx, regardless of what an employee does or does not contribute pre-tax or roth
- Flexible schedules, compressed work weeks, and opportunities to work via telecommuting are available for certain positions
- Certain employees may be eligible for student loan repayment assistance and forgiveness programs
Minimum Education Required