AmeriCorps VISTA - NeighborWorks America Rural Initiative
- Job posted by NeighborWorks America - Rural Initiative
116 Huntington Avenue
NeighborWorks® America is a congressionally-chartered nonprofit organization dedicated to improving distressed communities. NeighborWorks® America works through the NeighborWorks network of 240 nonprofits across the country, and in collaboration with national and local partners, to create opportunities for low and moderate income individuals to improve their lives and strengthen their communities.
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) provides full-time volunteers to nonprofit, faith-based and other community organizations to create and expand programs that bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. Together, AmeriCorps and NeighborWorks facilitate a VISTA program that places approximately 100 NeighborWorks VISTA members around the country, working to strengthen and stabilize communities through affordable housing and community development.
NeighborWorks America's Rural Initiative is dedicated to creating vibrant rural communities by delivering a range of essential services through our network of 118 rural NeighborWorks organizations serving 48 states plus Puerto Rico. This work at the national level means that Rural Initiative VISTAs partner with rural-serving NeighborWorks organizations across the country to tackle a broad scope of rural poverty and affordable housing issues by building capacity and resources through a mix of locally determined strategies that strengthen and revitalize rural communities.
This is a great opportunity for recent graduates or mid-career professionals wanting to contribute in a meaningful way to the development of rural communities and to capture the experience and unique skills of both NeighborWorks America and its network of nonprofit organizations around the country.
The NeighborWorks Rural Initiative seeks an AmeriCorps VISTA to support our capacity to serve community-based non-profits working in rural and small towns. Persistent poverty is an enduring problem in rural America. Geographic isolation, lack of resources and economic opportunities and disinvestment have led to high poverty rates for decades. As the Rural Initiative has grown and diversified its membership since 2001, an ever-increasing number of its 118 members work in areas of high and persistent poverty. Rural Initiative VISTA work at the national level is integral to our strategy to address persistent poverty issues that face rural America by building capacity and resources for NeighborWorks organizations to address these disproportions in rural communities across the country.
The main objectives of the position are to:
- Identify and build capacity for 2-3 new peer learning programs for NeighborWorks organizations serving persistent rural poverty communities to learn from each other, and from other rural practitioners.
- Institutionalize a process for acquiring, analyzing, visualizing, and disseminating NeighborWorks network client-level data to demonstrate the need for increased capital flows to the hard to serve persistent rural poverty areas.
- Survey housing preservation and innovative shelter opportunities (i.e. manufactured housing) around the country to advance affordable housing opportunities in areas of persistent rural poverty. Data findings will be incorporated into persistent rural poverty case studies, training curriculum, and used to advance strategic planning events like the 2018 and 2019 NeighborWorks America Rural Membership Convenings.
- U.S. permanent resident of at least 18 years of age, undergraduate degree preferred.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills
- Responsible, self-motivated, able to handle multiple ongoing projects, and requires minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong data analysis and visualization skills
- Relevant non-profit or community development experience desirable
- Interest in rural community development strongly desirable
- Computer skills required (MS Office products proficiency helpful) and web/graphic design experience is a plus
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment and follow-through
- Maintains regular and timely attendance
- Willingness to travel up to 10%
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Job Category: Other
Position Type: Full-Time
Travel Required: 10%
Annual Stipend: $20,580
VISTAs will receive a bi-weekly living allowance paid by the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS). The bi-weekly allowance is $791.70 for the Boston area. Health insurance is provided. An MBTA monthly pass and/or rental assistance may be made available, pending approval. At the end of the term of service, an education award or cash stipend is available. Student loan forbearance is accessible during the VISTA service term. Childcare assistance is available to eligible candidates. VISTAs may be enrolled in school with permission from their sponsoring agency. It is expected that the VISTAs will travel up to 10% of their time, receiving training and attending meetings. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, see here: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application deadline: June 6th, 11:59pm
Start date: August 28th, 2018
Applications (cover letter and resume) will be accepted until Wednesday, June 6th 11:59 pm
All final candidates must have an active AmeriCorps account (see here for instructions).
NeighborWorks® America is committed to providing a productive and safe environment.
For more information, please contact:
NeighborWorks Rural Initiative
116 Huntington Ave 12th Floor
Boston, MA 02116
617 585 5041