Preble Street is a complex nonprofit social services organization with 12 programs, 5 administrative departments, 240 employees and multiple funding sources, and is seeking an experienced Payroll Manager with exceptional organizational, analytical and project management skills and a strong customer-service orientation to manage the full scope of its payroll function.
As a member of the Finance team, a key partner with Human Resources and the management team, and an accessible resource for employees, the Payroll Manager has an integral, critical role in the agency. Accountable for all aspects of the bi-weekly payroll, specific, essential functions include:
- Preparing and processing payroll, and creating and preparing reports as needed and requested.
- Managing timely and accurate grant allocations within the payroll systems.
- Maintaining systems in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Reconciling Quarterly tax reports for state and federal purposes.
- Preparing and completing year-end adjustments for W2’s, including third party sick pay, group life premiums, car usage, and health value totals.
- Tracking and auditing staff benefit time each pay period and for quarterly reporting.
- Tracking and reconciling payroll deductions for items such as insurances, wage garnishments, and 403B withholdings and transmitting 403B payrolls to the recordkeeper.
Success in the Payroll Manager role requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Substantial, management-level experience with payroll (ADP Workforce Now strongly preferred).
- Expert knowledge of current federal, state and local payroll laws and regulations.
- Practical knowledge of benefits administration and HRIS systems.
- Ability to clearly and respectfully communicate with a diverse staff at all career levels.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to propose solutions to address needs and concerns.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, with the ability to analyze and understand complex concepts.
- Motivation to produce high-quality work with an emphasis on accuracy and completion.
- Approach to the work that demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to Preble Street’s mission.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word experience and skills for analytical projects and tasks.
A bachelor’s degree and significant payroll experience are the preferred qualifications for the position; however, candidates with any combination of experience and education likely to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in the position will be considered.
This is a full-time, exempt position, offering competitive compensation including generous insurance and paid time off benefits, as well as an Employee Assistance Plan and a 403B Retirement Plan with employer match.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also send application materials via USPS to: Preble Street, HR, 38 Preble Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please note: Automatically-generated confirmations of receipt will be sent in response to applications sent via email. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be otherwise contacted.
Preble Street is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, military status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all of Preble Street’s hiring practices, and all terms and conditions of employment.