ASL Job Coach (American Sign Language)
- Job posted by Goodwill Industries of Greater NY & Northern NJ, Inc.
To provide training and support for rehab consumers transitioning into competitive or supported employment, to assist consumers retain jobs long-term. American Sign Language fluency required.
Essential Job Functions:
· Provide intensive on-the-job training for consumers placed into competitive employment.
· Train consumers on public transportation alternatives to get to/from work.
· Provide ongoing coaching on a monthly basis for consumers needing long-term follow along (LTFA) after placement, to help increase retention rates and problem solve issues that may arise.
· Keep track of task analysis for the purpose of training new hires on the job.
· Completes all Job Coaching logs and LTFA case notes in a timely manner as per the case note and paperwork compliance procedure. All case notes for the week need to be completed on Fridays by COB and forwarded to the Coordinator of Job Retention Services along with the weekly report.
· Track # of service hours provided to each consumer; submit activity reports on time (within 5 business days) to request vouchers for additional hours when needed.
· Perform case management services as required, to include linking the trainee with other service providers or community resources such as: recreation, education, transportation or leisure, in order to further enhance the trainee’s integration into the community.
· Complete Individual Employment Plans; determine realistic employment goals with consumers.
· Train consumers, new co-workers and supervisors on how to best work with the newly placed consumer.
· Educate consumers about how working may impact other benefits that they currently receive. Connect consumers to Benefit Counseling Services as needed.
· Meet individual and team revenue goals.
· Contact DVRS & other referral agencies for supported employment and/ or job coaching referrals.
· Submit monthly job coaching reports.
· Enter consumer information into Foothold Awards system.
· Communicate with referral sources DVR, CBVI and private funders as per the funder communication follow-up procedure.
· Attend all rehab and staff meetings as required.
· Become familiar with CARF regulations.
· Assure that services provided and documentation maintained is CARF compliant.
- Monitor consumer’s pay rates via receiving pay stubs quarterly.
- If the Job Coach is fluent in another language, may be asked to translate on behalf of rehab consumers as needed.
(Other duties and assignments as may be assigned at the sole discretion of the employer)
· American Sign Language fluency required
A AA Degree in human services field from an accredited college.
· Must have a valid NJ driver’s license and pass license check.
· Must be willing to use private transportation to travel to employers and serve consumers in counties throughout Northern NJ.
· Intermediate Word, Excel and Outlook preferred
· Job Coaches working with deaf and HOH consumers, fluency in American Sign Language required and SLCE certification preferred.
· Excellent communication and written skills
· Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
· Navigate and negotiate through difficult situations
· Ability to communicate with all levels of employees
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
· This position does not supervise others butmust work effectively as a partner with the job developers and other rehab staff.
Special Working Conditions:
· Job coach works in the community in addition to at the main office.
· Conditions at employer locations may vary. Coaching may need to occur overnight, in factories or warehouses with extreme heat or cold conditions; may need to climb ladders to reach employee job site. Worksites may be loud, dusty or cluttered.
Level of Language Proficiency
American Sign Language (ASL)
Minimum Education Required