Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Facilitate Breastfeeding Support Groups with a target population of Black, non-Hispanic women or new mothers. Provides breastfeeding information to clients; encourage exclusive breastfeeding.
- Facilitate or assist with breastfeeding group discussions for participants, with a target population of Black, non-Hispanic pregnant women and new mothers residing in Jersey City or Paterson.
- Provide breastfeeding and postpartum information and support to pregnant/ breastfeeding participants.
- Follow-up with clients as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of all contacts with pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Keep client information strictly confidential.
- Make referrals according to established protocols to the IBCLC consultant, the mother’s physician, a public health program in the community, or social service agency.
- Explore and garner healthcare provider partnerships
- Recruit pregnant and breastfeeding mothers for the support groups
- Follow-up with participants during the postpartum period to ensure appointments are arranged and attended.
- Identify participants who qualify for HWHF Case Management
- Link appropriate breastfeeding support group participants to HWHF Case Management Program.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
DESIRED EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school graduate required
- Two years experience as Breastfeeing Counselor
- CLC certification preferred, eligibility for CLC training required.
- Computer literacy in MS Office Suite required
- Nonjudgmental attitude; culturally competent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Medical Insurance Plan with Employer-Paid Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
- Dental Insurance Plan
- Vision Insurance Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Life Insurance Plan
- Long-term Disability & AD&D Insurance Plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
Marie Kinsella, MS, MCHES
Director of Community Programs
Partnership for Maternal and Child Health of Northern New Jersey
Paterson, NJ 07505
Submissions without a cover letter and/or salary requirement will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in working for The Partnership. Once submitted, your résumé will be reviewed, and if your background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.