We are seeking an attorney to join our dynamic Medical Legal Partnership, an innovative and growing model of legal services delivery which includes providing services in multiple of BayLegal's substantive practice areas through a lens of individual and public health. The attorney selected for this position will have the unique opportunity to gain experience and provide representation across multiple practice areas, with a focus on economic justice through access to public benefits. BayLegal has partnered with Contra Costa Health Services to provide a heightened level of access and wrap-around civil legal services to a target population of persons with long-term or chronic health conditions, and high emergency health care utilizers. The goals of our MLP work are improving health outcomes, stabilizing low-income individuals and families, and reducing the negative impacts of poverty by using an array of legal resources and strategies.
As a Medical Legal Partnership Staff Attorney, you will have the opportunity to:
· Learn and assist with the diverse legal needs of underserved and vulnerable communities in Contra Costa County and broader Bay Area.
· Provide full‐scope wrap-around legal representation to low‐income individuals, with a focus on advocacy for economic justice and access to public benefits (CalWORKs, CalFresh, General Assistance, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants).
· Assist clients across Bay Area Legal Aid’s other practice areas as needed, including housing, consumer and others.
· Identify and employ impact advocacy strategies to remove systematic barriers to public benefits for client populations, including but not limited to particularly vulnerable groups such as refugees, survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking, individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, and people with disabilities.
· Develop and cultivate relationships with community partners, particularly with case managers providing referrals through the Medical-Legal Partnership.
· Provide trainings on public benefits and other areas of law to BayLegal staff and community partners.
· Work closely with BayLegal's development, grants and contracts, and communications team to promote BayLegal's mission and resource development.
· Engage in other tasks and projects that further BayLegal's mission and operations as a non-profit.
Requirements/Qualifications/About the Successful Candidate:
· Humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
· Membership in good standing in the California State Bar.
· Demonstrated commitment to ensuring economic stability for low-income individuals and communities.
· Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
· Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team.
· Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done.
· Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details.
Temporary COVID-19 remote work: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all BayLegal employees are primarily working remotely. While BayLegal has implemented detailed health and safety protocols to minimize risk of exposure and has an evolving plan for reopening our local offices, we anticipate remaining primarily remote throughout much of 2021. All employees are expected to be available to travel to BayLegal offices and services locations as needed and in compliance with public health advisories. Employees are expected to reside in California and must be able to commute to the physical BayLegal base location or service delivery location within the San Francisco Bay Area.
While BayLegal remains primarily remote, all employees are issued BayLegal computers and provided appropriate supplies. BayLegal has implemented and continues to explore additional technologies to make working remotely as efficient and connected as possible. All employees receive a flat-rate monthly amount to reimburse for work-related use of personal IT equipment, including internet and home. BayLegal is open to providing flexibility regarding work schedules and part-time or full-time employment to the extent feasible for the position.
We are seeking an attorney to join our dynamic Medical Legal Partnership, an innovative and growing model of legal services delivery which includes providing services in multiple of BayLegal's substantive practice areas through a lens…
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits package includes 100% employer-covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long-term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program, and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment). This is a union position (Bay Area Legal Aid Workers, “BALAW”) and the salary scale will be provided upon request.
We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal's benefits…
BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) and QTBIPOC (Queer, Trans, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, individuals who have been impacted by the criminal justice system and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our Human Resources Department email@example.com (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) at least 3 references, and (4) a writing sample. Please reference Medical-Legal Partnership Attorney Position – Contra Costa in the subject of your email.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) and QTBIPOC (Queer, Trans, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) individuals, the working poor, seniors, people who are limited English proficient, veterans, persons with disabilities, survivors of abuse and exploitation, individuals impacted by the criminal justice system, and people who are experiencing or at risk of homeless, and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to humility, inclusion, and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women…