FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm. We are experienced advisors to corporate, foundation, and nonprofit/NGO leaders. Through our combination of customized consulting services, powerful insights, and ground-breaking initiatives, we help clients around the world create social impact.
FSG’s collaborative approach combines rigorous data analysis with facilitation and a passion for impact. We help companies design social impact strategies that strengthen their businesses, and we help funders and nonprofits develop and evaluate strategies that advance their missions. We’ve worked with clients such as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, General Mills, Kaiser Permanente, and the Global Fund for Women to create social impact in health, economic development, education, and more.
Associate (Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, or Washington, D.C.)
Are you a highly motivated, data-driven, creative problem solver? Join FSG’s consulting team to collaborate with clients across a range of sectors who are working to address complex social and environmental problems to produce equitable outcomes at scale.
Associates are integral members of our consulting team and work on client projects across a variety of issues including: economic development, education, global development, global health, and community development.
You would spend the majority of your time on client projects. You would have the opportunity to work across FSG’s different approaches, areas of focus, and client segments.
Serve on client projects as a team member
- Conduct and synthesize research in an accurate, thorough, and timely manner
- Assist with development of surveys and interview guides
- Perform rigorous and accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Translate findings into creative, data-based insights to inform our recommendations
- Communicate perspectives and ideas to team members, clients, and additional stakeholders in clear, concise, and compelling ways
- Collaborate with team members by giving and receiving feedback
- Assist with project logistics and coordination
Contribute to other aspects of the firm’s development
- Support the creation of articles, publications, and blog posts through research, writing, and editing
- Assist with research for business development proposals as needed
- Contribute to FSG’s internal culture including our commitment to an inclusive work environment
- At least 1 year of relevant work or comparable internship experience (e.g., conducting research and data analysis to develop structured and compelling strategic recommendations)
- Bachelor’s degree required; demonstration of analytical and quantitative coursework strongly preferred
- Experience with primary and secondary research; experience gathering data including perspectives of people directly experiencing the particular social issue is a plus
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills with demonstrated ability to translate findings into clear and meaningful recommendations; experience considering how solutions may impact a range of stakeholders, including marginalized communities, is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with exceptional attention to detail; ability to convey a point of view in a concise and structured way
- Strong time management and work planning skills; ability to multitask and work quickly and efficiently to meet project and client deadlines
- Passion for social change, and clear interest in working in the social sector
- Deep interest in one or more of FSG’s primary focus areas (catalytic philanthropy, collective impact, shared value, strategic learning and evaluation, systems change) and exposure or experience in one or more of the following issue areas is a plus (education, health, and/or development)
- Experience considering and/or applying equity and inclusion principles strongly preferred (e.g. disaggregating data, addressing disparities between populations and/or designing culturally appropriate interview guides, etc.)
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint; ability to use Excel to create charts and graphs preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally 20-30% of the time (travel requirement varies by project)
Associate positions are available in FSG’s Boston, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C. offices. This is a full-time role. We offer a competitive and equitable compensation package with the goal of attracting and retaining exceptional people. Salary bands are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting bands for each role. We also offer a generous benefits package including: health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG, 3 weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, cell phone stipend, disability and life insurance, and more. Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our US offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
The Associate position is an entry level role on our consulting team and offers opportunity for advancement, pending performance, to the following roles: Consultant, Senior Consultant, Associate Director, Director, and Managing Director.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment and promotion opportunity regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required