7500 Beechnut St Ste 208
Faith In Practice is an ecumenical Christian, not-for-profit, medical mission organization. The mission of Faith In Practice is to improve the physical, spiritual, and economic conditions of the poor in Guatemala through short-term medical, surgical, and dental mission trips and related educational programs.
Reporting to the Volunteer Program Director, the Volunteer Program Manager is responsible for managing the volunteer program, liaising with as many as 1,200 volunteers annually to ensure thorough and accurate trip applications and pre-trip preparations, to facilitate recruitment of team members, and to conduct post-trip follow-up as needed.
Qualifications: A bachelor's degree and 3-4 years of experience required. A high attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to multitask a must. Strong communications and customer service skills also required. Candidates with a heart for mission strongly encouraged to apply.
The VPM is responsible for working directly with Team Leadership on management of volunteer program development, team logistics, and communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Management of Volunteer Program
- Possess deep knowledge of process and policy related to teams, and the logic behind it; serve as a resource to CEO and COO when procedures must be revised to due changes in laws or issues that arise during the season.
- Serve as liaison with all team leaders regarding logistics, recruitment, and team development; assist team leaders with in-kind donation requests.
- Oversee the Volunteer Program Assistant in the review and approval of all volunteer applications; including the review of personal and professional letters of reference, CVs, and hospital privilege letters; look up medical licenses and ensure all materials are entered into the database and archived on the network drive prior to the application approval.
- Assist the Volunteer Program Director in the management of the Volunteer Resource page on the website to include all new resources and the updates of old resources; this includes sending reminders regarding these resources and role descriptions 30 days prior to team departure.
- Evaluate Volunteer Resource page after each season, and make recommendations for revisions or updates based on volunteer feedback and VPM observations.
- Evaluate Team Leader Resource page after each season, and make recommendations for revisions or updates based on team leader feedback and VPM observations.
- Train Mission Coordinators and Team Administrators on an as needed basis. For new team leaders, prepare and facilitate the New Team Leader Onboarding Meeting as well as the Database Training Meeting.
- Provide input to COO and programmers on database maintenance and improvements.
- Inform and educate volunteers on policies and procedures as appropriate and field general questions about serving on a Faith In Practice mission team.
- Report weekly to the Volunteer Program Director on overall volunteer program; brief the COO on team issues as needed.
- Attend team meetings in Houston and via skype and/or conference call.
- Work with the Volunteer Program Director on the end-of-season evaluation and related meetings.
Volunteer Program Assessment
In collaboration with the Volunteer Program Director,
- Facilitate the implementation of the Team Member Assessment and Team Leader Assessment.
- Report each team’s findings to the team’s leaders throughout the season.
Volunteer Program Logistics
- Oversee volunteer recruiting efforts for all teams; liaise with communications staff to promote opportunities via social media and continually work on outreach for recruiting.
- Manage approximately 30 volunteer teams annually. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to:
- Sending current, complete medical licenses for applicable individuals to appropriate hospital staff in Guatemala prior to trip departure; ensuring all credentialing information is kept up to date in the database throughout the year.
- Support team leaders, ensuring that team leadership has entered logistical information into the database by deadlines outlined on team checklist. Information includes team summary data, housing information, team leadership, role templates, etc.
- Overseeing the Volunteer Program Assistant in the annual updating of hotel information into the database.
- As needed, providing support the Inventory Department in the preparation of containers, including both administrative support and packing and logistics in the warehouse.
- Responsible for annual review and improvements of the Volunteer Handbook, including creation and editing of content in collaboration with CEO, COO, and Guatemala staff; makes mid-year updates to Volunteer Handbook as needed.
- Oversee the Volunteer Program Assistant on the assembly and mailing of Welcome Packets sent to volunteers and directs admin staff or volunteer in the process as needed.
- Oversee the Volunteer Program Assistant in the preparation and mailing of Team Leadership Packets for assigned teams.
- Assist Communications staff in updating the Leadership Manual sections related to team responsibilities.
- Oversee content updates on all volunteer and leader resources and liaise with communications staff on layout, printing, and upload of resource materials.
- Prepare presentation notes and slides and speak at annual Leadership Conference.
- Answer phones and respond to general inquiries.
- Provide support and 2-3 events annually.
- Other duties as assigned.
We offer PTO (paid time off); medical, dental, and vision insurance; and 401k retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required