Director Of Human Resouces
1721 Griffin Avenue
Overview – The Organization
For over 30 years, the Violence Intervention Program (VIP) has been charged with the mission of protecting and treating all victims of abuse, neglect, and sexual assault, while also emphasizing community-based prevention to end the cycle of family violence. Through proven success, our hallmark approach to care continues to be an effective model for intervention, treatment, and prevention to provide healing for victims of violence and prevent future violence, seeing over 18,000 clients a year. VIP’s model as a public-private partnership with the County of Los Angeles and our broad base of community partners puts us in a unique position to make a lasting impact on the welfare of children in Los Angeles. We are an ideal testing ground for new and innovative programs; as a nonprofit, we have the flexibility to pilot programs to address the immediate needs of our population. This model continues to be successful by first identifying a need within our population, then developing programs in partnership with private resources that are eventually adopted by public agencies for ongoing support. As a result, our model has set the standard of care for victims of abuse, emphasizing an integrated system of support that includes expert forensic exams, comprehensive medical care, ongoing mental health services, case management and auxiliary support services.
VIP is responsible for pioneering the Los Angeles County Medical HUB Clinic (HUBs) model that provide coordinated health care for all children in the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) system. These HUBs offer medical services for children in all stages of DCFS involvement, ranging from medical assessments of suspected child abuse or neglect, to comprehensive medical exams for children entering out-of-home care. The HUBs also provide DCFS children with ongoing well-child care and sick visits. There are seven medical HUBs located throughout the County, all of which operate in close communication with the Department of Mental Health (DMH) to ensure that mental health needs are addressed and treated as needed
Scope of Position
As part of the Executive Team, the Director of HR plays a vital role in achieving the Agency’s strategic goals in a highly competitive market. The ideal Director of Human Resources will be able to effectively manage the traditional administrative and compliance responsibilities of human resources while also participating in the development of strategic goals and creative initiatives and the needed steps towards implementation. As a member of the leadership team, the Director of HR needs to direct the implementation of industry best practices and data driven analytics to guide human resources, program development and anticipate problems. He or she will form relationships that span the entire Agency and develop a human resources team that regards the agency’s employees as its customers.
- As part of Executive Team, create and manage an effective, proactive HR team that includes innovative plans for recruitment, retention and staff support that supports the ongoing anticipated program growth and diversification.
- Participate in developing ideas, strategic goals and making ongoing recommendations to maximize the Agency’s success.
- Develop a strong, effective HR team that is respected and trusted across the Agency.
- Develop creative, effective ways to support business needs across locations, programs and departments
- Plan and manage regular staff support programming to limit the impact of compassion fatigue.
- Serve as Safety Officer for the organization. Coordinate with Operations the implementation and maintenance of safety rules and regulations, including IIPP records. Develop emergency exit and disaster recovery plans for executive review and approval; oversee implementation.
· Personnel Management
- In collaboration with CEO/COO, use data driven reports to assess HR’s effectiveness and develop and implement changes based on the results.
- In collaboration with agency leadership, design and implement training programs that mentor new and newly-promoted employees/volunteers and nurture growth among current employees/volunteers.
- Recommend, implement and assess effectiveness of employee and volunteer recognition systems designed to inspire and reinforce desired performance.
- Provide proactive guidance and consultation on employee relations issues.
- Recommend performance management tools and processes based on best practice.
· Payroll and financial responsibilities
- Provide compensation and benefits data, and recommend adjustments to successfully attract and retain high performers. . Remain current on regulations, laws, industry trends and best practices, and keep Agency compliant by advising management and making timely changes in practices and policies.
- Ensure that data entered by human resources in its HRIS system is timely and accurate, and reconciliations with payroll and other departments occur routinely.
- Research and monitor health and welfare plans and options; oversee renewal process with insurance broker; provide renewal information with recommendations for executive management review and decision. Includes health and welfare, liability, property and casualty, workers’ compensation, and retirement plans. Ensure timely and accurate processing of selected plans/contracts and associated implementation.
· Bachelor’s degree. Masters a plus (not required) Additional certification/training preferred.
· Critical thinker with the ability to provide real-time analysis and solutions.
· Self-motivated and passionate; Innovator and challenger of status quo.
· Five to seven years previous work experience as an HR Generalist in a management capacity; expert knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration and labor laws.
· Demonstrable experience leading organizational change.
- Demonstrated strategic focus as well as commitment to hands-on day-to-day department management.
- Outstanding communicator with ability to explain complex information clearly and succinctly and tailor message to audience.
- Curious and creative mind.
- Experience handling business and employee crises.
- History of finding creative solutions to attract, motivate and retain top talent Track record of developing and implementing a best practice effectively.
· Experience developing, analyzing and problem-solving based on HR Analytics.
- Up to date on all state, federal and employment compliance issues.
- Skilled at building collaborative, team-oriented work environments.
- Skilled user of Excel and Power Point, word, and HRIS systems.
VIP offers Great Benefits and Perks!
•Medical, Dental, Vision and Flexible Spending Account
•401(k) plan & Basic Life Insurance
•11 paid holidays per year•Generous paid time off accrual
•Travel reimbursements at IRS rate
•Cell phone provided for business use
Minimum Education Required