1518 K Street NW, Second Floor
The National Alliance to End Homelessness (Alliance) is an influential national nonprofit devoted to finding and advancing solutions to homelessness. Our team is focused on making an impact. We seek a Research Associate to join our Homelessness Research Institute (HRI), the knowledge development and education arm of the Alliance. Help us create intellectual capital around solutions to homelessness; produce actionable information for policymakers and practitioners; develop the best information about trends and emerging solutions; and engage the media to ensure the accurate reporting on the issue. If you are interested in using data and research to solve a social problem, consider joining the Alliance.
Who we are looking for:
The Alliance is looking for Research Associate for its Homelessness Research Institute. We seek candidates who are committed to using data and evidence to find solutions to homelessness, and to building the knowledge base that will help policy makers and practitioners implement those solutions. A successful Research Associate will execute the Alliance’s research agenda and work with the rest of the Alliance team to build the knowledge base around solutions to homelessness.
What you will do:
The Research Associate works with the HRI Director to answer key questions around homelessness and its solutions. The Associate will utilize data and research from homelessness and related areas including housing, employment, behavioral health, corrections, child welfare, poverty and race. They will examine data and research to identify and monitor trends in homelessness, and will maintain solid and accessible information on the prevalence and demographics of the problem, and the characteristics of homeless people. They will also develop information on solutions to homelessness. The Associate will work closely with the Alliance staff.
Specific tasks include:
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data for inclusion in research reports and best practice profiles/case studies. This includes manipulation of large datasets, including Census and other federal data.
- In partnership with HRI staff, draft and edit research reports, policy briefs, best practice profiles, and other educational materials on homelessness, populations at-risk of homelessness, affordable housing and other related issues.
- Co-author key HRI publications including The State of Homelessness in America.
- Review current and related research and policy literature to stay abreast of emerging studies, reports, and promising practices focused on homelessness.
- Work with HRI and Alliance staff to disseminate research and data to the media, the public, and a broader audience of opinion leaders using methods such as blog posts and email newsletters.
- Work with HRI, Alliance staff, public agencies and partner organizations to identify the practice and policy implications of research findings.
- Assist with the management of the Alliance’s Research Council and collaborate with the Council to implement a national research agenda on homelessness.
- Create and maintain interactive maps, charts, and other tools for the Alliance website that communicate important concepts regarding homelessness and its solutions.
- Assist with Alliance conference preparation, including speaker identification and workshop planning.
What a successful candidate will need:
- Three to five years prior work experience.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- A strong interest in homelessness, housing, and/or poverty. Previous research experience in the areas of homelessness and housing issues a plus.
- Strong writing and analytical skills, including the ability to conceptualize reports, papers, and short form information pieces; to draw policy and practice implications from data and research; and to summarize academic research.
- Experience using statistical packages (e.g., SAS, SPSS) and Microsoft Excel to conduct quantitative analysis -required.
- Experience analyzing large datasets, such as Census or other national data.
- A strong interest in data visualization (required). Experience using software and online services, such as GIS (ArcView, MapInfo), Google Maps/Visualizer, or Tableau, to visualize data, preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to lead projects, work on multiple projects at once, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – this position requires constant communication and collaboration with Alliance staff and others.
- Commitment to the goal of ending homelessness in the United States.
Director, Homelessness Research Institute
What we can offer you:
The Alliance is a strong, flexible team of professionals that works collaboratively to achieve its mission of preventing and ending homelessness in the nation. We offer a supportive work environment in which staff has both the responsibility and opportunity to pursue and achieve solutions to a national social problem. In addition to an environment in which every member of the staff is valued and has the opportunity to contribute, the Alliance offers the following benefits.
- Competitive salary
- Employer supported health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Paid vacation, personal, and sick leave and a generous holiday schedule
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Minimum Education Required