Details: Children's Rights offers a competive salary commensurate with experience.
88 Pine Street
Children’s Rights is a leading national children’s advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of vulnerable children in government systems. Children’s Rights uses civil rights litigation, policy expertise, and public education to create positive systems change, with a 20-year track record of raising accountability, protecting rights and improving outcomes for children.
We are seeking a gifted and versatile writer to develop compelling concepts and copy for a wide variety of marketing and fundraising initiatives in print and online. The writer will be responsible for crafting fresh, smart, concise, and powerful messages aimed at keeping Children’s Rights supporters and prospects informed of the organization’s work—and inspiring engagement and action on behalf of the abused and neglected youth we represent.
The ideal candidate will be a very strong writer and verbal communicator, capable of distilling complex issues into vivid language understandable to general audiences. He or she must be comfortable managing multiple projects under deadline pressure, and must be adept at tailoring content and style precisely to different audiences and different formats. Experience in nonprofit/advocacy communications will be an advantage.
- Pitch, develop, report and write powerful stories that illustrate Children’s Rights’ mission, the vulnerable children we represent, and advocates and supporters who dramatically improve the lives of those in American foster care.
- Write and edit copy for printed marketing and fundraising materials, including direct-mail appeals, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, board reports and individualized donor-relations correspondence.
- Generate ideas and write copy for a robust program of online outreach via social media, mass e-mail and the Children’s Rights website and blog to attract donations and new followers.
- Develop concepts and copy for advertising and marketing collateral in print and online, as well as promotional videos and PSAs.
- Draft speeches, op-eds and talking points for Children’s Rights officials appearing at public events.
- Conduct interviews with donors, supporters, former foster youth and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to press releases.
- Write nearly all the materials related to the Annual Benefit (honoree request letters, corporate sponsorship letters, presale letters, assist with show flow and scripted remarks, etc.).
- Provide additional editorial support to other members of the Communications and Development staff.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of five years of relevant experience, with an impressive portfolio of samples illustrating facility in writing for a variety of audiences and formats. Marketing and fundraising experience is strongly preferred.
Children’s Rights provides a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter, resumé, salary requirements, and three writing samples demonstrating a range of capabilities to HR@childrensrights.org with the subject line “Marketing & Development Writer.”