ABOUT THE POSITION: The Hygiene Specialist is a member of the Hygiene Team that provides bathroom, shower, and laundry facilities to hundreds of area homeless men and women per month. The Attendant contributes to the maintenance of a safe and welcoming environment in the Hygiene facilities. This is a unionized position, represented by Local 8 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU).
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: Located in our Pioneer Square headquarters, the Hygiene Center offers homeless men and women a place to use the restroom, take a hot shower and do a load of laundry. It’s open on a drop-in basis during regular business hours.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Compass Housing Alliance develops and provides essential services and affordable housing for homeless and low-income people in the greater Puget Sound region. We envision a world in which every person lives in a safe and caring community. We are an organization that recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to the organization. To learn more about the agency visit www.compasshousingalliance.org.
LOCATION: Headquarters in Pioneer Square
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 6:30am-3pm; with staff meetings on the 3rd Thursdays 3pm-4pm
SALARY RANGE: $15.76 per hour
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time. The employee in this position must be able to read, write, and understand English.
o Greet clients in a kind and respectful manner when they arrive to use the bathroom/shower and laundry facilities.
o Distribute supplies (towels, shampoo, soap, etc.) and monitor clients to ensure they have the supplies needed for personal hygiene.
o Wash, dry and fold laundry along with towels for guests’ showers up to 50 loads per day.
o Ensure safety and security of clients and staff; enforcing program policies and agency rules.
o Ensure the Hygiene Center is clean and sanitized, exceeding Health Department standards always.
o Mediate conflicts and model appropriate problem solving.
o Provide de-escalation and crisis intervention to clients of all programs in common areas.
o Provide information and informal referral services to guests for both Compass and outside agency resources regarding housing, employment, food, and clothing.
o Ensure appropriate program statistics are recorded and tracked in an accurately and timely manner.
o Maintain a favorable working relationship with all other company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate.
o Project a favorable image of the organization to promote its aims and objectives, and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all its areas of endeavor.
o Perform all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectives of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in de-escalation, crisis intervention and stabilization skills.
· Promotes a team environment that values, encourages and supports differences.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team particularly to be able to exercise sound decision making in the absence of supervision, with strong collaboration skills.
· Ability to set and maintain boundaries in a professional manner.
· Ability to follow agency policy and procedures to maintain safety and security within the facility.
· Sensitive to and able to communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse economic circumstances, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, physical and mental abilities, and sexual orientation.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to communicate effectively about technical problems and solutions. Strong problem solving, time and project management skills are required to be successful in this role.
· Ability and aptitude with technology necessary for successful day-to-day functioning in business environment including various databases, Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc., and Internet technology.
· Fluency in a second language such as Spanish a plus.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
· A high school diploma or GED is strongly desired, Associate’s degree preferred in social work or related field, or relevant work experience, certificate and/or equivalent continuing professional development or education.
· A minimum of 1-year experience working or volunteering in homeless services organization, strongly preferred.
· A minimum of 1-year experience working in a customer service environment or high volume public contact position, required.
· Demonstrated familiarity with issues of homelessness, mental illness, substance abuse, sexual assault, and/or domestic violence, required.
· Experience working with clients in which English is a second language or where there is limited English ability, desired.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the link provided and complete an online application.