RESPONSIBLE TO: Community and Shelter Medicine Manager and Medical Director
This position is a key technician role on the mobile veterinary clinic (Wellness Waggin’) and the mobile spay/neuter vehicle (Spay Waggin’). A high level of professionalism and strong customer service skills are mandatory for this position. Working with the public, volunteers and veterinary staff in a small environment makes strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a team player, absolute requirements. This position has to maintain flexibility in duties and responsibilities to best fit the changing needs of the Community and Shelter Medicine department and the mission of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. The duties of the position cover any part of the veterinary practice excluding diagnosis, prescription, and surgery. In addition, the duties of this job do not entail any activities prohibited by the veterinary practice act of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- *Must be able to handle a wide variety of animals effectively and in a humane manner. Must be able to work under close supervision of the Veterinarian on duty as well as the Community and Shelter Medicine Manager.
- *Must complete a 90 day orientation and training period.
- *Must maintain a good attendance record.
- *The regular workweek for the mobile clinic is 30 hours, which may include Saturdays. The regular work schedule will include three days 10hr/day. This schedule allows interchangeability within the mobile Community Medicine programs.
- Must be willing to work a reasonable amount of overtime or, when other duties require, at night, weekends, and holidays.
- *Prepare patients, instruments, and equipment for surgery when required. Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures when required. Skillfully place catheters, intubate patients and properly administer injectable, oral and topical medications when required. Accurately collect specimens and perform laboratory procedures. Evaluate and monitor on an ongoing basis, the health and behavior of all animals in the Mobile Clinic. Dress animal wounds when required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience working in veterinary field. Associates degree or bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Must be a Certified Veterinary Technician in the state of Massachusetts.
- *Must maintain a valid Massachusetts Drivers License and must be insurable with the League’s automobile insurance policy.
- *Must be able to obtain a DOT medical card.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY & VIEW FULL JOB DESCRIPTION, please go to https://www.arlboston.org/careers/