Details: $20-$25 per hour depending on qualifications
2223 Singleton, Suite 140
The part-time Team Read instructor will plan, prepare and deliver reading instruction to students enrolled in the Team Read After-School reading intervention program at a West Dallas elementary school. The program is part of a collaboration with several community organizations focused on providing academic support, social emotional learning (SEL), and enrichment activities during the out-of-school time. Required program hours are Monday-Thursday from 3-6pm. Additional hours for planning and required trainings will vary outside of program hours.
- Receive training and become a proficient instructor in R2L’s methods for teaching early-reading skills. Training includes but is not limited to systematic phonics, guided reading, running records, assessment analysis, and social/emotional learning.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver phonics and guided reading instruction to approximately 24 students enrolled in the After-School Program.
- Administer a variety of reading assessments to identify and monitor students’ progress in reading level and skill. Assessments include, but are not limited to, DRA2 (Developmental Reading Assessment), Istation ISIP, sight words, phonological and phonemic awareness, and fluency.
- Act as a liaison between faculty and administration at partner schools and R2L Program Director regarding session schedules, to ensure that planned schedule and sessions occur, and that dosage requirements for students are met.
- Encourage and monitor students’ progress and use assessment information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Collect and maintain documentation and student data for assessment scores, attendance, demographic information, outcome measures, and survey results.
- Complete performance data reports documenting students’ progress for school staff and parents, including individual comments regarding student progress.
- Manage/coordinate a small group of volunteers to read with children during Buddy Reading sessions.
- Assist students with homework during the After-School Program.
- Create and execute educational and engaging hands-on learning activities for After-School and Summer Camp programs
- Manage student behavior by establishing and enforcing expectations and procedures, and enforcing a Positive Behavior Intervention System.
- Provide a safe and nurturing learning environment for all students.
- Attend required SEL program trainings provided by collaboration partner organization.
- All other duties as assigned by Executive Director and Program Director.
Education: Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school)
Preferred Fields of Study: Education/Literature, Child Development, English as a Second Language (ESL)
Experience: 1 plus years of experience working with children in a teaching/educational setting
1 plus years of experience teaching early reading and literacy, ESL teaching experience preferred
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
Writing Skills: Ability to write clearly about technical topics with precision, accuracy, readability, and editorial correctness across multiple modes; daily communication, reports, summaries
•Detail-oriented, self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
•Dedication to continuous improvement and learning, both as an individual and an organization
•Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate openly and work collaboratively in a team
Certifications & Licenses: No specific certifications or licenses are required for this position
Highly Preferred: teaching certification, ESL certification
Other Requirements: Knowledge/experience in Guided Reading/explicit phonics instruction
Experience in teaching reading, especially at the lower elementary level
Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Highly Preferred: fluent in Spanish
Pay Rate/Salary: $20-$25 per hours based on certifications and experience
To apply: submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This part-time position does not include benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
The candidate must be fluent in English. Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required