Certified Occupancy Specialist (Affordable Housing)
Details: commensurate upon experience
West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH) is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1976 to create housing that would meet the diverse needs of older people and persons living with special needs. Since 1980, WSFSSH has renovated or built 26 buildings comprising close to 2,000 units of housing in Manhattan and the Bronx, serving over 2,000 people.
WSFSSH is seeking a motivated and dedicated Certified Occupancy Specialist for a campus of 3 buildings consisting of 319 units in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the Bronx. The successful candidate must be experienced in the day to day process of completing HUD and LIHTC certifications. The ideal candidate will be well organized and have an instinctive ability to pay attention to details. The candidate must be self-motivated, work independently and be eager and willing to participate in a team environment. Candidate must have impeccable customer service skills, strong verbal and written communication skills and a professional demeanor at all times.
Duties include maintaining all aspects of the campus’ waiting lists, conducting interviews for new applicants as well as existing residents, seeing the certification process through to completion, and maintaining the site’s HUD & LIHTC resident files ensuring compliance with federal, state and local housing agencies.
This position will report directly to the site’s Senior Property Manager.
- Process HUD Project Based Section 8, LIHTC and HOME initial, interim and annual certifications, move-outs, unit transfers, gross rent changes and lease renewals ensuring all are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Consistently follow up with applicants, residents and/or 3rd parties to obtain required eligibility/program documentation within required time frames.
- Manage and maintain the site’s waiting lists to ensure current list of interested qualified tenants is up to date to fill vacancies in a timely manner; purge wait lists in accordance with HUD’s wait list management and tenant selection regulations for housing.
- Prepare for MOR reviews, LIHTC and HOME tenant file audits.
- Prepare responses to MOR reviews, LIHTC and HOME tenant file audits to ensure close-out.
- Maintain and prepare all resident files to ensure that they are audit ready at all times.
- Prepare investor reporting documents as required.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Qualifications and Requirements:
- College Degree is required.
- Minimum 3‐5 years in affordable housing compliance experience in HUD Project Based Section 8, LIHTC, and HOME programs is required.
- Working knowledge of HUD Rules and Guidelines (4350.3 Rev.1 Change 4) and HUD reporting requirements is required.
- Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) or Assisted Housing Manager (AHM) or equal designation required.
- NY State Notary Public or must receive NY State Notary Public within the first 3 months of employment.
- Proficiency in using property management software, preferably OneSite and/or Yardi, preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
- Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Administrative Skills ‐ General office duties, writing letters, preparing reports, interpreting policies and procedures, proficiency in office equipment.
- Communication/Language Skills – ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) with all levels of employees, outside agencies and manage large volumes of correspondence; ability to proofread documents; ability to interpret HUD manuals.
- Computer Skills ‐ Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet, OneSite.
- Coordinating Skills ‐ Ability to prioritize and schedule multiple projects simultaneously; ability to effectively organize records/files.
- Other Skills ‐ Confidentiality, customer service, decision‐making, patience, respect, teamwork, and flexibility.
Interested applicants should send 1) a cover letter, and 2) a resume by email.Please indicate ‘Certified Occupancy Specialist’ in the subject line of your email. The cover letter should provide the applicant’s salary requirements and indicate in detail how he/she meets the specific qualifications of the job. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. If you are not contacted for this position, please accept our sincere thanks and appreciation for your interest. For more information about WSFSSH, please visit www.wsfssh.org.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual: English and Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send 1) a cover letter, and 2) a resume by email. Please indicate ‘Certified Occupancy Specialist’ in the subject line of your email. The cover letter should provide the applicant’s salary requirements and indicate in detail how he/she meets the specific qualifications of the job. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. If you are not contacted for this position, please accept our sincere thanks and appreciation for your interest. For more information about WSFSSH, please visit www.wsfssh.org.