3 Columbus Circle
Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) is one of the world’s leading performing arts organizations, with a mission “to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for jazz through performance, education and advocacy”. A 501(c)3 organization that is now in its 30th year, JALC offers a full concert season with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (JLCO) with Wynton Marsalis (and many guests) at its home of Frederick P. Rose Hall, “The House of Swing”, on the corner of Central Park at Columbus Circle in New York City; regularly tours the JLCO in the US and abroad; operates a wide array of educational programs, from WeBop for kids through the year-long high school music program “Essentially Ellington”, now in its second decade; and has begun a global suite of jazz advocacy initiatives ranging from free HD live webcasts and online teaching tools to local community-based advocacy programs.
The Human Resources Director reporting to the VP, HR and will assist in the day-to-day operations and overall administration and coordination of the human resource function. The ideal candidate must be an experienced professional with deep knowledge of all matters concerning HR departments. This position is a true generalist role suitable to a confident and self-motivated individual, who is comfortable challenging the conventional approach when required and is also willing to roll up his/her sleeves as necessary. Must have a high level of attention to detail and can support the VP to ‘make things happen’ to be a great fit. The successful candidate will be involved in project work while also advising and guiding more junior members of the team where necessary.
- Research, draft, and recommend HR policies and procedures for implementation.
- Collaborate on HR related projects including policy and procedure review and implementation, recruitment, performance management, compensation management and management development plans.
- Apply knowledge of employment laws (EEOC, FLSA, FMLA, ADA) and HR technical knowledge.
- To ensure best practice is defined and delivered in all aspects of HR and the first point of contact for Managers to discuss any issues and provide expert advice.
- Manage employee relations issues with sensitivity and expertise.
- Experience with diversity and inclusion best practices and implementation.
- Be a partner to hiring managers during the recruitment and selection process of key positions.
- Support the HR team with providing guidance on the employee lifecycle, including onboarding and benefits.
- Assist in day to day operations/administration and other tasks as assigned.
Training and Development
- Prepare and deliver training for managers, HR staff, and other employees on non-discrimination or harassment, performance management, supervisory/management training and other topics as needed
- Analyzes current processes and provides a return on investment (ROI) for each project or new initiative proposed.
- Develops and tracks metrics to assess the success of programs.
- Support and drive the delivery programs which drive improved performance, engagement, and retention.
HR Metrics and Analytics
- In collaboration with the HR team, develops HR metrics and provides analytics on the current HR practices.
- Develops reports and presentations to identify success factors and identify areas of improvement to share with stakeholders and various audiences.
- Oversight of HR and Office Administration team in collaboration with the VP.
- Partners with the VP on performance management process of the department.
A Bachelor's degree is required. Master’s degree and/or SHRM/SPHR Certified is preferred. A minimum of 5 years of progressive HR experience in a Manager or Assistant Director role. Must have experience and be comfortable training at all levels of the organization. Achieve Global or similar Leadership Training Certification is a plus. Demonstrated experience in using HRIS platforms and experience with implementation of new HR technology is a plus.
Strong skills in building and maintaining relationships with strong influencing skills to provide guidance and advice to a dynamic workforce. Able to project a professional, credible image with confident communication skills (both orally and in writing). Experience in managing recruitment processes and some experience in strategizing and implementing training programs if preferred. Coaching skills to assist in day to day support to managers. Experience working with data and the ability to provide analysis. Experienced and talented and relish the chance to work on behalf of jazz music, and to try to make the world a better place.
Jazz at Lincoln Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation time, medical, dental, a defined contribution plan and deferred compensation plans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com. Please include Human Resources Director in the subject line.