Summer Search is seeking a National Associate Director of Development to partner with our National Director of Development to manage and grow our National Office development strategy. With primary responsibility to help lead the team towards our FY18 nationally managed target of $5.9M and to meet an annual portfolio target of $750,000 - $1M, the Associate Director will serve as an engaging external representative of Summer Search and coordinate strategies around donor engagement. This position requires a motivated and adaptable individual interested in supporting our network-wide development team and senior leadership in their fundraising efforts.
The successful candidate will effectively manage a significant portfolio of donors and ensure streamlined activities within the organization based on the priorities of the development department; the individual will also handle day-to-day management of strategic initiatives that advance the fundraising goals of Summer Search.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an entrepreneurial development professional with a strong track record managing all aspects of work with major donors from research to stewardship to solicitation and an interest in helping their colleagues be successful in this work.
Specifically, the National Associate Director of Development will drive our fundraising efforts through:
Fundraising and External Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop and grow a personal portfolio of individual and major donors across the country to achieve an annual fundraising goal of $750,000 - $1,000,000 and contribute to the team’s overall success against our FY18 goal of $5.9M. Grow the pipeline of major donors by qualifying and cultivating new major gifts prospects with the capacity to make six-figure gifts.
- Represent Summer Search effectively with current major donors and prospects at strategic outreach opportunities, including meetings, conferences, and events to cultivate and manage relationships with major donors and stakeholders. Bring content knowledge and expertise to be a credible voice with donors in making giving decisions.
- Partner closely with regional leadership to execute development strategies, facilitate cross-site collaboration, create consistency and efficiency, share best practices, and proactively identify opportunities to coordinate regional and national efforts. Collaborate with National and local development teams across our 5 geographies to ensure well-coordinated, high quality gift strategies.
- Partner with the National Development Committee to identify, cultivate, and secure new and upgrading funding sources. Partner with the National Nominating Committee to identify and cultivate new National and local board members, with an eye towards diversifying our boards from the perspective of race, alumni status, professional industry and more.
- Assist the National Director of Development in developing a past trustee engagement strategy.
- Collaborate with Summer Search’s marketing department to raise the profile of Summer Search in the philanthropic and corporate communities.
Strategic Initiative Management
- Partner with senior leadership in developing and rolling out external communications related to our new strategic plan in FY19 and beyond. Engage staff and stakeholders to tailor Summer Search messaging to distinct funder segments (i.e. industries) and opportunities.
- Partner with Finance Department on various project budget processes and timelines, including tracking of grant proposal and reporting requests and streamlining budget templates.
- Lead exploration and development of volunteerism, particularly corporate partners, to build out opportunities to engage donors and streamline efforts across our five sites.
- Partner with the National Program Team on programmatic fundraising needs.
Major Gift Team Management and Leadership
- Serve as a strategic and data-driven thought partner to the VP of Development, the National Director of Development, and National Senior Director of Development. Lead data analysis for the National Development Team to ensure the strategic deployment of resources and compelling data-driven cases for key strategies. Serve as the lead support to the National Director of Development on materials for donors, board meetings, and committee meetings; help drive and focus work of a Senior Development Associate to provide content.
- Partner and leverage key leaders, including Senior Management Team, local and National Development staff and Board members to advance operational components of fundraising as well as specific donor engagement.
- Manage a full-time National Senior Development Associate.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our intense investment includes:
- Competitive salaries
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure.
- Individual, local, regional and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
Level of Language Proficiency
WHO YOU ARE
The Associate Director will be an experienced and strategic nonprofit development professional. Specifically, well-qualified candidates will bring:
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the nonprofit development field, with demonstrated success in advancing donor relationships through the cultivation process and securing six-figure gifts.
- An engaging, warm, and professional manner and experience in representing an organization publicly to major donors, family foundation leaders, and program officers.
- Extremely collaborative and highly flexible approach, offering the ability and desire to both lead and support other staff members’ efforts, preferably in a multi-site environment.
- An entrepreneurial approach with demonstrated experience in driving new initiatives.
- Superb written and oral communications skills, with experience crafting successful written letters of inquiry, grant proposals and reports, and other donor communications.
- Strong attention to detail; organized and systematic in donor follow-through and stewardship and capable of balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel and to attend after work meetings and networking events as needed.
- Experience with a donor database application (Raiser’s Edge is preferred) and demonstrated ability to analyze data to drive donor strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Above all, a commitment to Summer Search’s mission and values, including our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to view the job on our careers page. Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that describes your interest in Summer Search and the National Associate Director of Development position. Please address your cover letter to Lisa Strade, National Director of Development.