Middle School Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Job posted by Bronx Charter School for the Arts
The Middle School Director of Curriculum and Instruction is responsible for ensuring that all students achieve both academically and socially at high levels and that the school’s instructional team has the skills and knowledge necessary for excellent instruction. Specifically, he or she:
- Provides leadership, direction, and supervision for the Elementary School’s core curriculum and development
- Leads all efforts to map curriculum using NY State Standards and Performance Indicators
- Trains teachers to use student performance data to create and implement skill calendars
- Assists in the coordination of the school’s response to intervention programming
- Plans, writes, and implements student and teacher assessment processes.
- Close monitoring of School budget.
- Plans, promotes, and facilitates weekly faculty meetings.
- Documents and communicates student performance, including successes and areas of improvement, quarterly.
- Provides the vision, sets the academic goals, and works closely with teachers to bring both to fruition.
- Works with support personnel to ensure that the school is compliant with NYS and federal law as it relates to student record keeping policies and practices and the confidentiality of student information.
- Researches and evaluates personal and professional development opportunities for teachers and staff through collaboration with colleagues, educational organizations, and personal development venues.
- Promotes high standards and expectations for academic performance to faculty and staff.
- Plans, prepares, and implements procedures for measuring instructive methods through student performance that is consistent with Bronx Arts Operating Principles and the strategic goals of the school.
- Reviews and implements procedures for evaluating and selecting instructional materials.
- Provides instructional support in the classroom as needed.
- Supervises each classroom teacher in his or her efforts to ensure that all students in his or her class are achieving at high levels both academically and socially.
- Assists School administrative and support staff in addressing special needs of students, including health related, physical, emotional, and learning disability concerns, ensuring coordination of the appropriate resources.
- Reviews all teacher planning tools, before implementation, and monitors delivery of instruction
- Uses assessment data to make informed instructional decisions
- Leads, in collaboration with the school’s leadership team, the promotion and implementation of the Bronx Arts Middle School Method and BASS the middle school’s Positive Behavior Intervention System. BASS is the driver of the effort to establish a school culture that reinforces the school’s mission, goals, and operating principles within all aspects of the Bronx Arts community including, but not limited to, the school’s high social expectations for students, its rituals, policies, and routines.
- Encourages communication among faculty, parents, and students.
- Maintains on-campus visibility with students, staff, and parents.
- Attends school and community functions consistently, demonstrating genuine interest.
- Works to cultivate positive, cooperative, and supportive relationships with faculty, parents/students/families, and resource agencies.
- Ensures all teachers participate in Arts Infusion Collaborative Meetings
- Ensures school environment is focused on academic rigor and arts integration.
Human Resources and On-going Development
- Leads the effort to recruit, select, orient, and retain a talented school faculty that is committed to excellent instruction, and the attainment of the mission of Bronx Arts.
- Actively seeks out ways to continually improve his or her own practice in order to increase his or her effectiveness in her role.
- Actively strives to embody the operating principles in his or her work.
- Operates according to the professional standards of the school, which are defined in detail within the schools’ staff policies and procedures handbook.
- Takes responsibility for the success of the organization by maximizing all opportunities to further the mission of the organization within the school, broader Hunts Point, and New York City communities.
- Interviews and makes final recommendation for hiring instructional staff.
- Lead all efforts to develop an effective learning community
- Establishes professional development goals and develops professional development calendar with instructional coach
- Monitors instructional coach in their delivery of PD workshops and selection of Pd opportunities for staff
- Leads and monitors inquiry group activities
- Works closely with Instructional Coach to oversee implementation days
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field
- Administrative Certification or ability to obtain
- Minimum three years’ experience as a teacher
- Experience in an urban school setting preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to: Tyrell Roddey, Director of Operations (email@example.com) with the subject, “Middle School Director of Curriculum and Instruction”.