1596 Post Street
Job Title: Academic Coach, JCYC Educational Talent Search and San Francisco College Access Center
Position: Casual, 5-19hrs/week
Location: Denman Middle School in the Excelsior neighborhood of San Francisco, Francisco Middle School in North Beach, Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in the Bayview, Roosevelt Middle School in the Richmond District, Aptos Middle School in Twin Peaks, or Thomas R. Pollicita Middle School in Daly City
Apply: July/August 2018
Tentative Start Date: September 2018
The JCYC Educational Talent Search (ETS) and JCYC San Francisco College Access Center (SFCAC) identifies, selects and assists low-income school youth, ages 11 and older who have the potential to be the first generation in their family to attend college. ETS and SFCAC are college access programs of JCYC. JCYC’s mission is to cultivate and enrich the lives of children and youth from diverse, multicultural communities throughout San Francisco and beyond. For more information about ETS, SFCAC, and JCYC visit www.jcyccollegeaccess.org or www.jcyc.org.
ETS and SFCAC is searching for after school middle school Academic Coaches to provide academic tutoring. ETS Academic Coaches must meet the following requirements:
· Available to work 3-4 days a week, Monday through Thursday, during mandatory after school hours throughout the academic school year. (School day hours also available);
· Available to attend trainings and monthly meetings;
· Be highly motivated to work with low income youth and help prepare students for academic success, paving the way to be the first in their family to attend college;
· Effectively exercise behavior management skills;
· Assist students with daily homework assignments, working in a room with an estimated ratio of about 5-7 students to 1 tutor.
· Demonstrate compassion, patience, reliability, professionalism and teamwork skills.
Based on the school site, additional responsibilities may include:
· Manage a small caseload of students, tracking their academic progress throughout the school year. This may include working with specific, underserved populations
· Assist with in-class tutoring, and one-on-one tutoring throughout the school day
· Assist with planning educational field trips for a group of students during the school day
· Experience working with multi-cultural and bi/multilingual youth, people of color, and individuals with backgrounds similar to target population (low-income and first in their families to attend college)
· High school diploma or equivalent required
· Students working toward an AA/BS/BA in related area will be strongly considered and are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Applicants MUST submit ALL of the following: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, and 3) School Schedule (if applicable)
Contact E-mail: Coach@jcyc.org, Attn: Academic Coach Position
Please no phone calls.
PLEASE NOTE: Japanese Community Youth Council ( JCYC) actively seek to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities. All employees of the JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Minimum Education Required