Details: Salary range is $65,000 – $75,000 commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
American Oversight is seeking a digital editor and writer to help us advocate for accountability in the Trump administration, highlight our investigative work, and expand our website as a resource for journalists, congressional investigators, and the public. Working closely with the communications and investigations teams, the digital editor will oversee online content and messaging around American Oversight's major investigations – writing and editing explainer articles, blog posts, investigation updates, and document analyses.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer and editor with a strong grasp of federal policy and national politics. They will be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, often (but not always) working on tight timelines to write about a broad range of subjects. Attention to detail is essential, as is the ability to quickly research and absorb new policy areas.
About American Oversight
American Oversight is a non-partisan, non-profit ethics watchdog that uses public records requests backed by aggressive litigation and communications to promote transparency and to hold government accountable. We're currently conducting oversight investigations into more than 40 federal agencies and offices, and we uncover a wide range of documents every week, including government officials' emails, calendars, and policy memos.
Since our launch in 2017, our 1,000+ FOIA requests and 50+ lawsuits have exposed numerous examples of misconduct and mendacity in the Trump administration – including the failure of the "voter fraud" commission to uncover evidence of voter fraud, the full cost of former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt's secret phone booth, and the FCC's false claims about a hacking attack on its Net Neutrality comment systems – and we have much more in store for the future.
This is a full time position located in Washington, DC that reports to the communications director. The digital editor will:
- Oversee the content of American Oversight's website and digital channels;
- Write, assign, and edit content for the website and other platforms highlighting documents we've uncovered, explaining the findings of our investigations, and advocating for oversight and accountability;
- Work with the investigations team to spot themes and develop stories based on the records we obtain;
- Develop and maintain the editorial calendar for American Oversight's major investigations, amplifying documents that could inform congressional hearings or investigations;
- Ensure high standards of accuracy and quality for all digital content across American Oversight's platforms.
We're looking for an exceptional writer and editor with a firm grasp of policy and politics who knows how to use digital tools to communicate complex issues.
- Strong writing and editing skills and excellent attention to detail;
- 3-6 years' experience working with and writing about a range of federal policy and/or political issues;
- A demonstrated record of writing about dense, wonky policy issues and making them accessible and compelling to a general audience;
- Comfort or familiarity with the Freedom of Information Act, congressional investigations, and/or litigation is a plus;
- Experience working in a team and handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Familiarity with basic web publishing tools (such as WordPress);
- A strong interest in government ethics and accountability;
- Self-motivation and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently;
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to Clark Pettig at email@example.com.