217 Water Street
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,000 stakeholders with ties to our regional waterways. The organization’s mission is to inspire and enable resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities.
Waterfront Alliance is a leading advocate in the New York metropolitan region to reshape our harbor and the surrounding waterways into a shared resource for all, and to help our coastal communities prepare for the reality of sea level rise and the next big storm. After a decade of highlighting the urgent need to protect our coastal region from the risks posed by climate change and sea level rise, Waterfront Alliance has recently developed a new five-year strategic plan that, among other things, seeks to build broad consensus around our region’s most critical resiliency investments and policy changes. To support this ambitious plan, we seek a development associate to help the Waterfront Alliance meet its annual $1.5 million budget and grow additional support over time from corporate, foundation, government, and individual donors.
The development associate reports to the deputy director of development, working collaboratively on all areas of fundraising, with a particular focus on institutional funders and events. She/he also works closely with program and communications teams to ensure seamless alignment of fundraising priorities across organizational goals and objectives.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Waterfront Alliance encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.
Institutional Funders (40%)
- Supports portfolio of foundation funders ranging from small family foundations to large institutional funders, including maintaining grants calendar of application and report due dates, conducting grant research, drafting and submitting grant proposals and reports, and building and maintaining institutional partnerships; aligns programmatic goals with funding opportunities, collaborating with program team on strategy and technical writing of grant applications
- Supports identification, cultivation, and solicitation of portfolio of corporate donors beyond event sponsorships; develops stewardship plans and contributes strategic and creative thinking to corporate donor engagement by aligning corporate donors with programmatic goals
- Supports government grants through research, drafting and coordinating application materials, and managing contracts and reporting for secured grants
Events and Marketing (40%)
- Oversees project management (budgets, timeline, etc.), sponsorship, and marketing of annual Waterfront Conference and Heroes of the Harbor gala, increasing event participation over time and ensuring event revenue goals are met
- Secures sponsorship for annual City of Water Day and collaborates with communications team on marketing of event to general public and key constituents
- Leads marketing for all Waterfront Alliance events: builds and maintains invitation lists using Salesforce; designs, writes copy for, and sends evites using MailChimp; sets up and manages event registration using Eventbrite; uses social media platforms to market events (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr), works with graphic designer to develop sponsorship decks, signage. and other event collateral
- Oversees event management systems and procedures; makes ongoing improvements and recommendations and stays apprised of best practices around event management
- Supports the day-to-day operations of the fundraising department, including working alongside the office administrator on gift processing and accounts receivable, database management, scheduling and preparing briefing documents for donor meetings, etc.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the deputy director of development
Salary is commensurate with experience. Waterfront Alliance offers a full benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with employer match; and paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and two original writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should indicate “Development Associate.” Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.