820 First Street NE
JOB PURPOSE and KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREA(S): This newly-created position will have responsibility for developing and managing a new high priority and cross organizational initiative at the IBP. Based on an in-depth scoping of the field, IBP is looking to establish an initiative that will ensure that developing countries raise the additional resources required to drive development in ways that promote greater equity; and that meaningful opportunities are created by country governments to engage civil society in these decisions.
The program has received start-up support from the Gates Foundation and will focus primarily on building civil society tax analysis and advocacy capacity initially in a small number of developing countries, as well as on persuading international actors and country governments of the benefits of effectively including civil society in tax policy decision-making. This work responds to the growing global consensus of the importance of tax policy for advancing democratic governance, addressing social inequalities, and combatting climate change.
This is an opportunity for a tax policy expert and civil society advocate with the vision and ambition to establish a new program in the leading international civil society organization focusing on fiscal accountability. The successful candidate will steer the direction of this new programmatic vision, working across the organization, to ensure that tax policy in developing countries contributes to financial sustainability, equity, and poverty reduction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES of the JOB include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Author and lead IBP’s strategy for work on tax
2. Ensure that strategic planning and priority setting for the tax initiative best contributes to the realization of IBP's mission and overall strategy
3. Manage research, training, and advocacy projects that make up the tax initiative, as well as other tax staff
4. Lead outreach and communications with partner NGOs and international institutions working on tax
5. Monitor progress and effectively address challenges encountered during implementation of the tax initiative
6. Work with the Strategy and Learning Team to develop a framework, including a monitoring and evaluation plan, to guide and evaluate the initiative
7. Work with the Executive Director and Development Director in securing further resources needed for IBP to build its tax work
8. Coordinate with all other IBP teams as may be required to advance the impact of the tax initiative across the organization
9. Develop terms of reference for independent contractors required in the implementation of the tax initiative, negotiate and secure approval for these terms of reference, and recruit and manage consultants
10. Oversee the implementation of all grants and awards to IBP for work falling within the priorities of the tax initiative, support the Executive Director with reports to funding partners
11. Support the Executive Director and other IBP leadership in managing relations with the Board of Trustees and external stakeholders, as appropriate
• Master’s degree in economics, political science or related fields, required.
• Global perspective and understanding of tax policy and systems, including in developing countries.)
• 8 to 10 years of experience working in the tax field, including time working in civil society and/or government, and international institutions
• Experience in developing, implementing and managing programs that support civil society organizations to engage and advocate for greater transparency, accountability, and participation in policy decisions
• At least five years’ experience in designing, managing and executing tax-related policy research
• Exposure to international and country-based tax actors and networks.
• Strategic thinker, exceptional analytical and data analysis skills; strong experience in identifying and addressing problems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high-level ability to communicate effectively with partners, colleagues, consultants, and representatives of government, multilateral organizations, and other donors
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment
• A high level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines and to develop a new area of work
• Ability to establish, maintain and grow networks
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office package required; proficiency with other specialist software applications desirable
• Vision and ambition to build a new initiative in a leading international NGO, specializing in public finance accountability.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for IBP’s mission
• Highly flexible and adaptable to shifting environments and works well under pressure
• Motivated to learn and willing to contribute to learning initiatives
• Duties are generally carried out in a normal business office environment – i.e., working while sitting at a desk, at a computer, for extended periods of time.
Send a cover application letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Please put “Head of Tax Work” in the subject area. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Minimum Education Required