Start Small Think Big is a non-profit on a mission to empower and catalyze under resourced entrepreneurs. Founded 10 years ago in New York City, we have successfully expanded our offices to San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose. We are now in the midst of another period of exciting growth and expansion, as we work to grow existing programs to serve larger numbers of entrepreneurs, with a focus on those who are historically under-resourced. At the heart of our work, is building strong relationships inside the communities we support.
Start Small Think Big relies heavily on volunteers to deliver pro bono services at scale to small businesses. We are seeking a Volunteer Manager, reporting directly to the COO, who will create an environment in which volunteers can contribute in meaningful ways to our small business clients, feel valued for their unique abilities, and reflect the diverse communities they represent. Ensuring that volunteers are trained and supported in their work, the Volunteer Manager will partner with the program team staff to develop a best-in-class orientation and training program and help build volunteer talent pipelines, promote engagement with our clients and partners, and retain key volunteers and partners. In addition, the Volunteer Manager is charged with co-managing Start Small’s Associate Board.
The successful candidate needs strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to inclusive community development. The Volunteer Manager is the first contact that volunteers will have with the organization and you will serve as an ambassador for the organization and our clients. This role is a new position inside Start Small Think Big and there are tremendous opportunities to help build, shape, and grow this work inside the organization.
What You’ll Do as Volunteer Manager:
Relationship (Recruitment/Retention) Management:
- Direct responsibility for recruitment and retention of volunteers.
- Work closely with the program teams to identify & recruit new types of volunteers or partners (Corporations, Agencies, Accelerators, and others) based upon the evolving needs of our programming curriculum.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team on volunteer recruitment tactics and campaigns.
- Collaborate with our Volunteer Board on strategic initiatives designed to improve recruitment and retention of volunteers.
- Develop innovative and impactful volunteer training programs that reduce barriers for volunteers and increase impact for clients.
- Support and co-lead all volunteer trainings and information sessions and, where necessary, work alongside program staff to create, execute, and improve trainings.
- Manage relationships and answer questions and concerns raised by volunteers or volunteer organizations/corporate partners.
- Develop a strategy for, and building of, long-term partnerships which allow for volunteer recruitment, amplification of volunteers’ voices, and project promotion.
- In collaboration with the senior leadership team, develop an effective volunteer engagement strategy that supports the diversity, health, and satisfaction of the volunteer base and contributes to positive client experience and outcomes (as evidenced by regularly administered volunteer and client surveys).
- Create clear ways for the volunteer/pro bono community to communicate with one another, share learnings, and build relationships.
- Develop a clear and inclusive volunteer journey that makes it easy for new members to engage, find roles that fit their needs, and participate in projects.
- Recognize volunteers’ contributions (through specific appreciation ceremonies and events, profiling individual volunteers in annual report). Collaborate with Marketing, Programs, and Impact teams to promote these contributions and their specific results for clients.
- Conduct and co-manage Start Small’s VolunteerBoard, the purpose of which is to lead all volunteer recruitment initiatives and create opportunities to amplify Start Small Think Big in volunteer circles.
- Lead efforts to improve the volunteer journey. Leverage our technology platforms, including Salesforce and other tools, to build data dashboards and automate key portions of the experience. Collaborate with our Marketing and Technology teams to improve messaging, calls to action across all channels, user experience, and other touch points to ensure we deliver a high touch experience with an eye towards scale.
- Establish volunteer records and data points and maintain all volunteer records in Salesforce.
- Collaborate with our Impact team to collect relevant evaluation data, including but not limited to: administer volunteer feedback surveys, track and analyze volunteer time contribution.
- Develop executive level reports for leadership, the board and corporate partners showcasing volunteer engagement and opportunities.
- Create Volunteer case studies to use for recruitment and fundraising opportunities.
- Create and maintain a volunteer handbook which codifies volunteer roles, expectations, and other program-related/specific content.
- Connect with Program teams to improve workflows and processes related to coordinating clinics, volunteer engagements, and follow ups. Drive innovation in how we get our work done.
- College degree and/or 3-5 years of demonstrated experience in project/relationship management, community development, and/or volunteer program management.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to inclusive community/economic development, social and economic justice work, and / or anti-racist work.
- The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience working in multi-racial, multi-generational, and multi-class settings.
- The ability to communicate clearly and confidently in Spanish is highly preferred.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills, and can comfortably communicate with diverse stakeholders, maintaining a client-centered approach.
- You are a deft communicator, both written and verbal. You can guide, educate, question, write, and edit with grace and curiosity.
- Comfortable speaking and presenting in front of large and small groups.
- Entrepreneurial acumen and drive, ability to see and respond to opportunities to strengthen and/or course correct against program plans, and improve outcomes and impact.
- Willingness to innovate, adapt, solve problems creatively, and drive new approaches to work is strongly encouraged.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team and manage a large workload.
- You are highly computer proficient. Experience with Salesforce and/or other CRM platforms strongly preferred. Comfortable with project management software, communication software, and demonstrated ability to adapt to new technology tools and processes.
- Experience communicating complex concepts (technical, financial, legal, etc) to non-technical/expert audiences.