BAI is looking for a dynamic Senior Communications Manager who thrives in an unapologetically Black environment to help us confront HIV/AIDS. The Senior Communications Manager is an essential part of the Black AIDS Institute’s organizational visibility, community engagement, program content development and health information dissemination efforts. The Senior Communications Manager plays an integral role by developing and executing communications strategies that advance BAI’s mission, vision, relevance, organizational goals and amplify BAI’s programs from an unapologetically Black point of view.
The Senior Communications Manager leads BAI’s presence as the premier Black national HIV think and do tank by maintaining and expanding BAI’s national leadership, visibility, relevance, image, and presence. The Communications Manager leads all communications efforts for the organization which includes but is not limited to: crafting an overall digital communications strategy that enhances BAI’s mission; leading all of BAI’s digital platforms management which includes content planning, creation, implementation and analysis; promote culturally appropriate imagery in keeping with the organization’s well-established brand; support and promote the program activities implemented by BAI’s National Programs and Los Angeles-focused teams, partner with staff and external collaborators for event support; proactively pitch stories to media and find creative ways to bring young and older Black, community-focused individuals into a larger conversation about HIV and Black health.
The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression work that fights for the core values of social justice and equal representation, as well as thrive in an unapologetically Black work environment. While this is a full-time position, some weekend and evening hours will be required. Some travel is required.
Job Location: Flexible. If outside of CA, in a city with access to a major US airport with availability of frequent flights to Los Angeles. No re-location costs are borne by the agency
Reporting Relationship: Director of Development & Communications
Supervisory Relationship: Communications consultants/contractors as needed, as well as communications interns. BAI may hire additional positions which would report to the Senior Communications Manager (e.g., Communications Manager and/or Communications Specialist) within the next 1-2 years, as budget allows
Agency-wide Duties and Responsibilities:
● Supports the mission, vision, and values of the Black AIDS Institute
● Complies willingly with all organizational policies and procedures
● Supports all functions that attain and maintain accreditation and compliance with regulatory agencies
● Supports and facilitates positive interaction with others by exhibiting:
o Individual maturity
o Respect for others
o A team-centered approach
o Cultural Humility
o Maintenance of confidential information
● Communicates appropriate information to other departments in a timely and effective manner
● Participates in appropriate professional development programs to attain and maintain competency
Position Specific Duties/Responsibilities:
● Communications Planning and Implementation:
○ With Director of Development & Communications, create annual organizational communications plan (including objectives, budget, activities with timelines and benchmarks and metrics for measuring success) that includes earned media, membership and donor communication, and digital platforms with the goal to promote multiple aspects of BAI’s program content promotion, routine health services and educational trainings, staff profiles, etc.
○ Develop messaging and talking points and ensure collateral materials across program areas are up to date, framed persuasively and reflect BAI leadership (including leaders in national networks such as BAI's Black Treatment Advocates Network (BTAN)), organizational mission and organizational positions on evolving political issues.
○ Monitor and strengthen BAI’s brand and ensure all organizational communications meet high standards and deadlines.
○ Partner with the Director of Development & Communications to integrate BAI’s communications with fundraising strategies and key projects, including BAI’s signature event, Heroes in the Struggle.
○ Develop communications systems, policies, protocols and strategies to achieve BAI’s mission.
○ Social listening: Maintain community engagement via in-person and online networks to stay abreast of social, health/medical and political developments that can be integrated into organizational messages.
○ Continually promote and refine BAI’s mission via key messages in staff pitches, management presentations, leadership speeches, etc.
○ Track new trends and opportunities in communications.
● Public Relations, and Media Outreach & Engagement:
○ Write and distribute talking points, opinion pieces, press releases, press packages and other materials, and provide strategic feedback regarding communicating with the media, in ways that position BAI to react to stories affecting Black communities.
○ Enhance existing media relationships with the Black press and develop new relationships to promote BAI content at relevant times such as National HIV Testing Day, etc.
○ Respond to and book all interviews for staff with media, including speaking engagement requests and other external inquiries.
○ Plan regular editorial meetings between CEO and/or program staff and high-level journalists at national and major regional outlets.
○ Build strong relationships with BAI stakeholders and prepare them for media opportunities.
○ Develop and maintain asset library of approved images, graphics and video.
○ As needed, serve as organizational spokesperson for interviews and other related activities.
○ Develop and implement appropriate media relations strategies and tactics that position BAI to react to stories affecting Black communities.
● Website and Social Media:
○ Manage and grow all aspects of BAI’s new website to reflect growing program and direct service offerings, continual educational training, a diverse and community-aligned staff and a uniquely Black perspective to ending HIV, including monitoring the site for branding, consistency and relevance, analyzing Google Analytics metrics and devising SEO strategies, and developing protocol for staff to publish content.
○ Manage and ensure use of aligned and timely use of all BAI digital communications channels, including email lists; newsletters; website; and updates of news, events, and partner content posted and promoted on social media.
○ Manage and monitor engagement across all social media platforms and email lists to generate conversations with followers, as well as higher click-through rates for emails; and track, analyze and report social media analytics using Hootsuite and native platforms tools to continually revise social media practices with an eye toward growth.
● Content Creation:
○ Leverage routine engagement with staff and online social listening to develop and create scheduled content for BAI’s website, social media properties and email communications that coincides with an editorial calendar and the news cycle.
○ Serve as in-house staff writer and editor for a variety of BAI communications, including but not limited to press releases, website posts, newsletters, special and annual reports, social media content, presentations and CEO speeches.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in a communications-related field and at least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in the fields of communications, preferably for community organizations, nonprofits, and/or serving people of color. Note that BAI may consider years of experience in lieu of a bachelor’s degree or other formal post-secondary education.
● Demonstrated knowledge, experience and familiarity with Black HIV prevention and care programming, particularly HIV services in clinical and nonclinical settings, and HIV and health policy at a local and national level
● Minimum 4 years of experience developing organizational and/or programmatic communications strategy and demonstrated knowledge of implementation
● Minimum 2 years managing and content design for at least 1 social media platform. Knowledge and familiarity with managing content design, implementation, engagement and analytics reporting for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. At a later date the agency may consider the need to develop a TikTok and/or Snapchat presence. Preferred experience with Hootsuite or another social media management tool for tracking and reporting.
● Minimum 1 year of experience managing a content management-based website, blog or news feed, and related content planning across the organization’s teams. Familiarity with Wordpress and similar web platforms to design pages/posts, publish and edit content and update existing webpages with appropriate imagery and information.
● Minimum 2 years of experience developing press releases, statements, issue-based articles, speaking points, and other writing for health and health-policy related issues.
● Experience leading and coaching cross-functional teams and managing external creative vendors (e.g., graphic designers, web developers, and videographers, and internal staff)
● Experience with leveraging email marketing via Constant Contact (or similar email communications service) for email marketing, Sprout Social for social media management tools and Canva for graphic design/editing. Knowledge of similar tools is acceptable.
● Ability to thrive and problem-solve in an agency that is transforming and continually responding to and evolving with social turmoil, breaking news, political changes, tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail and creativity
● High level of proficiency with Microsoft Suite and cloud-based applications such as One Drive and DropBox for collaborative content development, editing, program promotions management
● Ability to use Asana as a project management software
● Technologically savvy and able to self-learn emerging and new tech platforms that support and amplify communications efforts
General Skill Requirements:
• Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication, public speaking and presentation skills
• Exemplary ability to manage multiple tasks using independent judgment and discretion
• Ability to work independently and accurately in a high-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Ability to work in an open office environment
• Ability to capture values and organizational culture in writing and other communications efforts
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
● Ability to read, write and converse in English
● Ability to communicate efficiently with staff, stakeholders, and vendors
● Ability to remain calm and composed under stress
● Bending, lifting, grasping, fine hand/eye coordination, pushing/pulling, and/or prolonged sitting/standing
● Ability to respond to telephones and other auditory stimulation
● Ability to organize
● Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, standard measurements)
● Ability to evaluate/interpret information and make independent judgments/decisions
About the Black AIDS Institute
The Black AIDS Institute (BAI) is the only national HIV/AIDS think tank focused exclusively on Black people. The Institute's mission is to stop the AIDS epidemic in Black communities by engaging and mobilizing Black institutions and individuals in efforts to confront HIV. The Institute interprets public and private sector HIV policies, conducts trainings, offers technical assistance, disseminates information and provides advocacy mobilization from a uniquely and unapologetically Black point of view.
The Black AIDS Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about the Black AIDS Institute visit www.blackaids.org.
BAI is looking for a dynamic Senior Communications Manager who thrives in an unapologetically Black environment to help us confront HIV/AIDS. The Senior Communications Manager is an essential part of the Black AIDS Institute’s…
Salary is competitive, benchmarked against similar positions at organizations of comparable size and complexity. BAI offers a benefits package that includes employee medical, vision, dental and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; access to professional development opportunities; paid time off; and additional competitive benefits.
Salary is competitive, benchmarked against similar positions at organizations of comparable size and complexity. BAI offers a benefits package that includes employee medical…
The ability to read, write and converse in English.
The ability to read, write and converse in English.
T apply, access the link provided. Submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Black folks, LGBTQ+ people, people living with HIV, and people who hold more than one of these identities are highly encouraged to apply. Initial screening will begin the week of October 5,2020 and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls or emails please.
T apply, access the link provided. Submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Black folks, LGBTQ+ people, people living…