Healthcare Literacy Instructor and Case Manager- Elgin Satellite Office
- Job posted by Chinese Mutual Aid Association
1016 West Argyle St.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association: Healthcare Literacy Instructor and Case Manager- Elgin Satellite Office
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking a Healthcare Literacy Instructor and Case Manager to work directly with clients enrolled in CMAA’s Healthcare Employment Preparation Program at CMAA’s Elgin site. The Healthcare Literacy Instructor and Case Manager will provide contextualized healthcare literacy education and individualized case management to current students and graduates of CMAA’s contextualized healthcare literacy bridge course. This is a full-time position.
The ideal candidate will display a deep commitment to offering high-quality services to the immigrant community. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle multiple projects independently. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn about and engage various ethnic and low-income communities, and to contribute to a forward-thinking team dedicated to building a sustainable Adult Education and Workforce Department.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is a fast-paced organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of low-income youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Adult Education and Workforce Department provides English as a Second Language, Citizenship, and Computer classes, and assists clients with transitioning into the workforce, through workshops and individualized counseling.
The Healthcare Literacy Instructor and Case Manager is responsible for the following:
● Planning, organizing, and providing contextualized healthcare literacy classes to limited English proficient adults
● Developing and delivering lesson plans that utilize a broad range of differentiated techniques, ensuring that learners meet or exceed state-wide program metrics
● Monitoring student attendance, goals, referrals, and testing; administering assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress; registering students for classes; working with CMAA staff to ensure that students are able to access a wide array of support services
● Providing employment counseling and developing individual employment plans (IEPs) for Healthcare Employment Preparation Program participants; conducting client orientation to CMAA services
● Referring clients to One-Stop to access Individualized Training Accounts as well as occupational training or postsecondary educational opportunities in the field of healthcare
● Conducting outreach for the Healthcare Employment Preparation Program
● Advocating on behalf of program participants; working with management and development staff to identify opportunities for program growth
● Other duties as assigned
We’re seeking candidates who are passionate about working with immigrant communities, demonstrate initiative and critical thinking skills, are strong communicators, and excel in relationship building. You should have:
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a strong interest in working with a limited English proficient population
● Experience managing multiple projects and a demonstrated ability to adhere to deadlines
● Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
● Experience teaching limited-English proficient students and contextualized literacy and/or bridge programming
Candidates must have reliable transportation and provide their own car insurance. Proficiency in a second language is a plus but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Alana Slezak, Manager of Civics and Community Integration, at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 27, 2018.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.