294 Avenue T
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Alumni Relations Coordinator
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. Coney Island Prep High School has proudly sent 100% of our graduating class to the college of their choice for the second year in a row. This was the result of the tireless work of our teachers and students at all three campuses who prove everyday that our scholars’ dreams will not be denied.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a tough day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Coney Island Prep Charter High School seeks an outstanding Alumni Relations Coordinator
to create and employ strategic structures to support our alumni enrolled in college. The Alumni Relations Coordinator will work with our scholars and their families beginning in the spring of their senior year as they prepare for the transition to college.
The Alumni Relations Coordinator will teach the “Transition to College” curriculum in College and Career Readiness class, stay in touch with college students, track their progress, and offer academic, emotional, and financial advising and support. This includes visiting students at college campuses, engaging in phone conferences, and arranging meetings to fit the needs of alumni and their families. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive knowledge of the college admissions and financial aid processes as well as the skills necessary to help students be successful in college. Chief among these skills are entrepreneurial, detail oriented, systems-driven, organized, relentlessness, creative problem solver, and consistent with follow-through. The ideal candidate will also possess research, networking, and communication skills to connect students to on-campus champions and resources. In order to meet the ambitious goals, an ideal candidate must also plan carefully in order to ensure strategic use of time and resources.
Mindsets and Experience
● Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
● Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
● Bachelor’s degree required
● Professional demeanor and excellent organizational skills
● Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
● An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
● A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
● Willingness to be a team player.
● Minimum of 2+ years of relevant work experience with a documented track-record of success
● Experience in high school counseling is strongly preferred
● Experience teaching high school is preferred
● Create and manage alumni data tracking system
● Create and implement a college success rubric/checklist to support scholars in the transition from HS to college
● Plan and teach the “Transition to College” curriculum for Seniors in the Spring
● Plan and facilitate the College Readiness for Families night in May focused on the “Transition to College”
Strategic Alumni Support
● Implement and execute data-driven approach to alumni support
● Counsel each alumni via phone, facetime, email, or in person when necessary to gather data and build positive relationships (caseload is approximately 75 students for the first year, but will grow to 350+ students)
● Conduct face-to-face meetings with high priority alumni at least once per semester
● Build and maintain a partnership with college success CBOs, such as Posse, Beyond 12, etc...
● Track report cards, transcripts, current student and family contact information, and course selection for all students
● Support scholars in enrolling into bridge programs who are at risk of not matriculating to college
● Collaborate with the College Team to ensure a successful Signing Day event
● Manage senior matriculation process
● Track data and materials to ensure smooth and efficient matriculation process over the summer to prevent “summer melt”
College and University Relationship Development
● Become familiar with the academic and social environments at the various colleges alumni matriculate to in an effort to recommend suitable matches to college counselors for future applicants
● Build strategic partnerships with key players on campus to connect with our alumni
● Prepare reports and identify key next steps for Alumni Academic Data Reports
● Analyze data pulled from students to present to the HS Leadership team, highlighting what we could do differently during high school to better prepare our students academically, behaviorally, and socially for success in college
Early College Awareness and Support Integration
● Co-plan and execute at least one alumni ritual/tradition or event each semester and one event over the summer
● Co-plan and execute alumni events where alumni engage with current students and staff
Benefits and Compensation
● Staff members at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and are eligible for a school-wide performance-based bonus.
● As a regular, full-time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package.
● Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed.
October 15, 2018
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.
Minimum Education Required