363 West State Street
Who We Are
We are Foundation Academies. We are the largest free, public charter organization in New Jersey’s capital city, Trenton, serving more than 1,000 of the city’s K-12 population across four schools. We believe every child deserves access to a high-quality education and we work relentlessly to ensure this happens. We value growth mindsets, lifelong learners and individuals who believe that every child deserves an excellent education. We hold ourselves, our students, and our city to high-standards because that’s what our families deserve.
We are conveniently located a quick car ride to downtown Princeton, a 45-minute SEPTA ride to Philly’s Center City, and a hop on the NJ Transit Express to New York City. We are Trenton and we are proud of it!
As demand continues to grow for spaces in our schools, our goal is to continue to expand and meet the needs of Trenton students. These expansion efforts, combined with our desire to provide our students with the high-quality facilities that they deserve, drive our fundraising priorities.
The Director of Development will lead overall fundraising and engagement of the philanthropic community for Foundation Academies. The Director of Development will serve as a key connection to a range of internal and external stakeholders. This individual will be responsible for retaining and expanding existing funding streams by cultivating strong relationships with and soliciting gifts from high-net-worth individuals, corporations, foundations, and government entities. Proposed start date: June 2018.
- Raise and sustain giving from individuals, corporations, foundations, events, and government sources
- Build upon Foundation Academies' major gifts program to attract 5, 6, and 7-figure gifts from high-net-worth individuals and families
- Cultivate new relationships, strengthen existing ones, and coordinate school visits with key donors and community stakeholders, elected officials, public-sector leaders, education-sector partners, and other interested parties.
- Conduct 5-10 high-impact personal donor meetings per month to cultivate positive and purposeful relationships and solicit gifts
Board and Volunteer Engagement
- Work with the Boards of Foundation Academies and The Friends of Foundation Academy to engage Board Members directly in the fundraising strategy
- Oversee donor affinity and leadership groups and strategies to ensure broad and productive participation of the philanthropic community
- Represent Foundation Academies at relevant events and engage in public issues that help increase visibility around our mission
- Work closely with Communications to build and maintain strong media relationships to improve quantity and quality of media coverage and increase community awareness
Systems Management and Improvement
- Maintain records of all current and past donors, including their donor history and personal relationships with Foundation Academies’ stakeholders.
- Ensure all systems include any historical information as well as new information gathered to accurately capture the histories of our relationships with donors.
- Develop, implement and maintain gift-related reports, policies and procedures as needed to ensure ethical compliance as defined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Want to join our FAmily?
We work hard, but thankfully have fun doing it! Here are just some of the benefits we offer:
- Competitive starting salary with merit-based pay increases annually
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
- Tax deferred 403b retirement account with 25% matching up to a certain amount
- Independent, conflict-free, financial consulting through Holberg Financial
- Smartphone and fully paid wireless plan through Verizon
- Work laptop
- Making a positive impact in the lives of some pretty awesome kids
- Passion for the mission of Foundation Academies
- Direct experience and a record of success in non-profit fundraising techniques, particularly in growing major gift fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships as well as motivate and effectively work with all constituencies
- Polished and authentic presence, excellent written and oral communication skills, and effective presentation skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit, especially in attracting new stakeholders
- Excellent organizational skills, with experience working in data-driven and process-driven organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree
Supporting/Additional Documents Requested
- Semifinalist candidates will be required to provide unofficial transcripts, evidence of certification/eligibility, and 3 professional references.
- Hired candidates are responsible for the following: official transcripts, criminal clearance (fingerprinting), and medical clearance (TB/Mantoux testing).
Minimum Education Required