Mychal’s Learning Place is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide support, training and opportunities to youth and young adults with developmental disabilities to build their independence and pursue their goals and dreams.
The Development & Communications Associate will work directly with the Development Director daily to ensure the effective completion of all Mychal’s Learning Place fundraising and communications objectives. This position plays an important role by providing support to the Development Director while participating in all department activities including donor relations, donor data entry and upkeep, prospect research, in-kind donation coordination, special events, content drafting and awareness building Communications initiatives.
Monetary & In-Kind Donor Engagement
- Regularly produce and finalize accurate donor acknowledgement letters for donor tax purposes.
- Help execute best practices for thanking donors including writing thank you letters, calling donors, gratitude plans, and donor appreciation events.
- Work with Development team and committees to solicit, coordinate, manage, and track in-kind donations.
- Respond to development-related phone calls and email inquiries in a professional and timely manner.
- Drive Peer-to-Peer fundraising efforts by recruiting fundraisers and communicating to ensure a smooth onboarding and fundraising process.
Data Entry & Reporting
- Responsible for data entry and gift processing, including ongoing maintenance of the database, ensuring data is accurate, current, and consistent.
- Responsible for generating donor data and reports requested by staff.
Communications & Marketing
- Work with the Development Director to develop and execute year-round communications plan across platforms (ex. Social media, email, website & blog, public relations, marketing, development material, etc.).
- Create content, manage and engage with social media accounts for Mychal’s Learning Place as well as its social enterprises, Mychal’s Prints & Embroidery and Mychal’s Bakery & Coffee.
- Develop creative campaigns to broaden awareness across all of Mychal’s brands.
- Coordinate and activate cross-promotions with corporate sponsors.
- Assist Development Director in creation of automated email systems to recruit, nurture, and retain supporters throughout all aspects of the donor cycle.
- Work with Program departments to identify content opportunities and create blog posts to share the impact of Mychal’s Learning Place on students and families.
- Set highest standards for quality, attention to detail, flawless execution and results.
- Maintain and organize photo and video library.
- Consistently deploy content marketing and social media activation best practices, leveraging new and emerging platforms, tools, trends, and partnerships.
- Work with the Development Director to support event research, planning, and execution.
- Work with the Development Director to help solicit event-specific donations and sponsorships.
- Work with Development Director to recruit and steward volunteers for a variety of roles including committees.
- 1-2 years of experience with fundraising or related work in the nonprofit sector; Preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in nonprofits and/or communications; equivalent work experience will be strongly considered.
- Strong ability to multitask; Required.
- Ability to professionally write and edit copy; Required.
- Passion for storytelling; Preferred.
- Experience in social media content creation and management, paid & organic; Required.
- High computer proficiency and comfort including familiarity with Dropbox, Canva, Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Forms, etc. and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; Required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; Required.
- Detail-oriented; Required.
- Top-notch time management skills; Required.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved populations; Preferred.
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Equal Opportunity – Mychal’s Learning Place is an equal opportunity corporation. Mychal’s Learning Place does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin or handicapped status. Mychal’s Learning Place takes all necessary steps to comply with existing Federal, State and Local Fair Employment