540 East Fordham Road
Job Title: Public Health Worker (CHOW)
Department: Harm Reduction Services
Reports To: Assistant Director of Harm Reduction Services
Provide and coordinate public health services, identifies and contacts appropriate social services resources for individual who may have experienced a recent overdose. Identifies, establishes contacts with and maintains ongoing communication with community social services agencies and providers. Engages potential clients through information sharing-using motivation interviewing.
· Advises contacted individuals of the ranges of services available through the program.
· Identify potential new referrals sources from hospitals, FDNY, police precinct for individuals who may recently experience an overdose.
· Identify areas with high rates of overdose and focus public health activities in those neighborhoods.
· Distribute brochures and literature describing the program services.
· Conduct Overdose reversal trainings.
· Assist behavioral health educator with all recruitment efforts and programming activities.
· Conduct HIV/HCV testing when needed.
· Assist Behavioral health educator with program planning.
· Responsible for marketing materials, program supplies to advertise The HUB Program.
· Represent agency at related meetings, conferences, and webinars as assigned.
· Track public health deliverables for entering into AIRS.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Associates degree or higher.
· Minimum of two years’ experience providing public health services to injecting drug users, healthcare institutions and social service agencies.
· Excellent communication skills verbally. Bilingual (English & Spanish).
· Familiar with community resources.
· Familiar with various types of drug treatment modalities (in-patient & outpatient).
· Knowledge of harm reduction services to high risk populations including drug users, those in recovery, the homeless and sex workers.
· Valid NYS Driver license.
· Ability to work evening and weekends.
· Ability to do public speaking in large or small audience.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required