Full Time Temporary
232 Third Street, E103
Founded in 1997, Rooftop Films is an innovative grassroots non-profit film festival and production collective based in Brooklyn, NY. Rooftop has grown to become one of NYC’s leading film organizations serving over 48,000 audience members. Our mission is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showing movies in outdoor locations, creating innovative events, and renting equipment at low-cost to artists and non-profits.
Rooftop Films has grown tremendously over the last few years, and we are looking for a Volunteer Coordinator to take a crucial role in the production of the Summer Series. The Rooftop Films Summer Series runs every weekend, May – August, presenting 45 shows at over 19 different outdoor locations in NYC. The Volunteer Coordinator will be the liaison to our growing volunteer base who assist us in putting on our events all summer. The person in this position will work with the Venue Manager to ensure that this aspect of our shows runs smoothly. The Volunteer Coordinator will also maintain morale among the volunteers and create a fun work environment. Previous Volunteer Coordination experience preferred.
This is a flexible, creative position, employing a variety of skills. The position is full-time, working both in the office and on-site at our Summer Series shows on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and some additional weeknights. The contract period is from May through end of August.
- Office and Administrative:
- Create and execute volunteer recruitment plan, incentives and outreach strategies
- Work with corporate, social, civic and community organizations to develop partnerships to recruit volunteers.
- Maintain volunteer database for tracking information, hours, roles and event participation.
- Plan volunteer orientations and create volunteer manual.
- Maintain ongoing communication with volunteers including social media and weekly emails
- Schedule volunteers based on event and venue needs.
- Update and communicate with event staff and senior staff on volunteer related issues.
- On-Site at Events:
- Welcome and lead volunteers on venue walk-throughs.
- Inspire volunteers and maintain a fun work environment.
- Place volunteers in stations according to their abilities and needs. Rotate stations, check-in, and lead volunteers throughout the course of the event.
- Assist the Event Manager with other aspects of event execution as needed.
- Minimum 2 years volunteer, event and/or film festival experience. Previous volunteer coordination experience preferred.
- Be a vocal leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills required, including spreadsheets and databases. Previous online scheduling experience is a plus.
- Ability to interact with the public with professionalism and decorum.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment, to take responsibility and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal staff and external constituencies at all levels.
- An understanding and dedication to our mission.
- Be culturally engaged. A familiarity with and interest in independent film is a plus.
Start Date: May 1, 2018
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We recommend you look over our website www.rooftopfilms.com to thoroughly learn about our organization. Then send a resume, cover letter, and references to:
Kate Gellene, Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the position in the subject line. Applications must be received by April 6, 2018.
NO PHONE CALLS OR FOLLOW UP EMAILS PLEASE.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged via email. Not all applicants will receive interviews.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Rooftop Films is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourages women and people of color to apply.