Administrative Assistant - Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society at UC Berkeley
- Job posted by Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society
Details: The hourly salary range of the position up to $27.51, commensurate with experience.
460 Stephens Hall
The Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society at UC Berkeley brings together researchers, stakeholders, policymakers, and communicators to identify and challenge the barriers to an inclusive, just, and sustainable society and to create transformative change. The Haas Institute serves as a national and international hub of a vibrant network of researchers and community partners, and, as such, plays a leadership role in translating, communicating, and facilitating research, policy, and strategic engagement for societal good. The Haas Institute advances research and policy related to marginalized groups and social cleavages including disability, LGBTQO citizenship, race, religion, economics, public health, education, democracy and the new emerging research on global north/global south relations. The Institute bring leading researchers and substantial resources across disciplines to bear on society’s pressing and pivotal issues related to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
The Administrative Assistant is a full time key staff position that possesses administrative skills and customer-service orientation in support of the Haas Institute. The Administrative Assistant operates with a high degree of independence and oversees various tasks and assignments ensuring the administrative processes and office operations of the Institute run smoothly and efficiently.
• Participates in the development and maintenance of online administrative tools, databases and tracking spreadsheets.
• Oversees student hiring process in coordination with HR and program managers.
• Helps onboard new staff, summer fellows and student workers.
• Books domestic and international travel for staff and supports them in submitting travel and entertainment reimbursements, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
• Maintains Institute calendar and online filing systems, accounts and subscriptions, such as the Amazon Kindle library.
• Oversees inventory of office equipment and supplies and determines ongoing inventory needs, orders supplies and verifies receipt of supplies.
• Coordinates with campus support units on maintenance and other services such as IT and Mail.
• Provides a variety of HR support including submitting ServiceNow tickets for HR action.
• Supports Salesforce administration, maintenance, troubleshooting and data migration tasks based on input from staff and proactively improves and customizes Salesforce to suit the Institute’s needs.
• Supports Administrative Officer in donor outreach and donation and gift recognition.
• Acts as the initial point of contact for visitors and e-based inquiries.
• Develops and manages efficient workflow mechanisms.
Purchasing and Procurement
• Assists with all stages of vendor and contractor procurement and coordinates with program staff and vendors/suppliers to receive required forms and documentation.
• Prepares, submits and tracks purchase order requisitions; receives and submits invoices; tracks payout cycle; and proactively communicates with vendors/suppliers on payment expectations.
• Ensures all budget approvals and appropriate back-up documentation is obtained for all expenses and adhere to campus and departmental policies and procedures.
• Troubleshoots and resolves vendor/supplier issues.
• Coordinates departmental credit card procurement program including compiling and preparing back-up documentation and reconciling transactions in Berkeley Financial System (BFS).
• Supports the Administrative Officer in reconciling departmental finance ledger issues.
• Coordinates and executes event and meeting logistics including room reservations, catering, supplies, A/V, parking, registrations, etc.
• Independently develops and implements protocols for regular meetings and events.
• Coordinates logistics with campus and off campus vendors, volunteers, and staff.
• Assist with biannual national conference and occasional weekend and evening events.
• Keeps the office and office materials orderly, clean and organized.
• Other duties as assigned.
• At least 3 years of administrative support experience.
• Experience providing administrative support in a busy work environment, including maintaining calendars, event planning, reimbursements, and booking travel.
• Knowledge of financial and HR processes, policies and procedures.
• Must be extremely detail oriented to ensure all documents and calculations are correct prior to submission.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize disparate and large volumes of work using excellent organizational and time-management skills.
• Ability to comprehend and interpret written departmental and campus policies and procedures and effectively communicate them to staff, students and vendors/suppliers.
• Excellent computer skills and fluency with various software applications (Word, Excel, Adobe).
• Demonstrated competence in the use of spreadsheets and databases to assist with analysis, management, and reporting.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to show respect to staff, faculty, students and vendors/suppliers by listening and helping problem solve in a professional and compassionate manner.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times.
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse, multicultural work teams and constituents.
• Flexible and adaptable and ability to keep a positive perspective.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and good follow-up skills communicating with staff, vendors and campus partners.
• Able to staff off site, after hours or weekend events as needed.
• Demonstrated interest in social justice issues.
• Knowledge of common campus software, systems and protocols (BearBuy, ServiceNow, Connexxus, BFS)
• Experience using Salesforce.
• Working experience in accounting, event planning, grant development/fundraising or human resources.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The First Review Date for this job is: November 1, 2018.
Please go to https://jobs.berkeley.edu/job-listings and search for job #25872 to apply.
Be sure to submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.