KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
KIND was founded by the Microsoft Corporation and UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, and is the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone. We do this in partnership with over 531 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations has served more than 16,386 children since 2009, and trained over 26,018 private sector attorneys to provide them with high quality representation in their deportation proceedings. KIND promotes protection of children in countries of origin and transit countries and works to address the root causes of child migration from Central America. KIND also advocates to change law, policy, and practices to improve the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States, by educating policymakers, the media, and the broader public about the violence that is driving children out of Central America and their need for protection.
KIND seeks a part-time (22 hours/week) Paralegal for its Baltimore field office to support attorneys with case preparation for direct representation clients; legal research; drafting briefs and client declarations; U.S. Citizenship and Immigration form preparation; interpretation and translation; outreach and community education events; pro bono placement and related duties; conducting legal screenings; and helping manage other administrative duties in the office, including database and file management. This is part-time role primarily based in Baltimore, MD.
The Paralegal position requires a Bachelor of Arts degree, and a paralegal certification or training is preferred.
- Experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or legal services organizations that provide direct legal service;
- Experience working in immigration and/or family law;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children;
- Experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma; and
- Experience managing office operations and data management.
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail;
- Strong cultural competency and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple attorneys;
- Strong writing and proofreading skills; and
- Ability to adapt to a high-volume workload with fast-changing deadlines and priorities.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney(s)
Legal and Non-legal interns
The staff member will have, but may not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Draft, edit, and prepare legal briefs, filings, immigration forms, client case documents;
- Manage client case data and update client management software, including upcoming hearing dates, client communications, and filing deadlines;
- Arrange and conduct client meetings for information gathering;
- Manage client correspondence;
- Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish as needed;
- Liaise with colleague NGOs to receive case referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND's case acceptance criteria;
- Liaise with pro bono attorneys and firms as needed;
- Participate in KIND’s outreach, Know-Your-Rights presentations, or community education events as needed; and
- Assist with office administration as needed.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.