55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets motivated, low-income public high school students to and through college with a rigorous out-of-school supplemental academic curriculum, college guidance and the leadership development necessary to gain admission to, and succeed at, competitive colleges and universities. At SEO Scholars we have a proven track record of success: 90% of our Scholars graduate from college. The impact of a college degree is well-documented. College graduates are estimated to out-earn their peers by more than $1 million over the course of a lifetime, thus breaking the cycle of poverty within their families.
The 10th Grade Program VISTA will develop new organizational systems to improve student engagement and streamline the operational delivery of SEO’s core academic program for the 10th grade. The VISTA will create capacity by identifying and implementing efficiencies in student advising and performance tracking systems as well as reports for program managers in order to produce positive student outcomes. In addition, the VISTA will participate in the recruitment and onboarding of the incoming freshman class in the spring.
Student Data Tracking
- Assess current data-tracking systems and implement efficiencies to ensure 10th grade student data is accurately captured, tracked and evaluated
- Create systems to report student academic data to 10th grade Program Managers to enhance their capacity to support Scholars
- Collaborate with Program Coordinator to identify opportunities to strengthen the Scholar transition process between 9th to 10th grades
- Create organizational tools for college tours to maximize the impact on Scholars as they progress through the program and prepare for college admissions in 12th grade
Student & Family Engagement
- Develop an e-newsletter marketing strategy to communicate regularly with Scholar families about important program updates and increase family involvement
- Create systems to identify, track and implement Scholar incentives, such as trips and prizes; develop a tracking system of potential partners (ie, local activity centers, entertainment companies) with potential to provide student incentives
- Identify and track best practices around forming school partnerships to enhance student recruitment efforts and models
- Participate in the implementation of these best practices to help with 9th grade student recruitment
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-orientation, and ability to multi-task
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Basic to intermediate Excel skills are highly desirable
- Experience managing projects with multiple deadlines
- Ability to work some Saturdays and evenings as needed
- Make a year-long commitment
- To Hold Students to the Highest Possible Standard – “There is no back row in SEO.” We are passionate about closing the achievement gap for first-generation and underrepresented students. We recognize the privilege of working with some of the most inspiring young minds in NYC and refuse to settle for anything less than 100% student engagement.
- To Speak with Candor and Conviction – We are dynamic, engaging leaders able to present SEO Scholars to a variety of audiences and stakeholders in a compelling and informative way, as well as to navigate difficult conversations providing honest, productive feedback to students and their families.
- To Prioritize Collective Objective over Personal Need – “It’s not about you; it’s about those who came before you and those who come after you.” We are a rapidly growing, data-driven organization always eager to add ambitious team members who want to make a lasting impact on our organization.
In addition to the living allowance, SEO will provide a $150 monthly housing stipend, a $50 monthly food stipend, and a monthly MetroCard during the VISTA’s period of employment.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
Go to the opportunity listing and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application process. Additionally, please share your resume and cover letter with Jessica Jones, Jessica.Jones@seo-usa.org and please specify "SEO Scholars AmeriCorps VISTA - Your Name" in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required