With 163,000 members, 32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions along the East coast. 32BJ is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages and expand access to health care for all working people.We currently seek an Executive Assistant to the Executive Office.
The Executive Assistant supports the leadership and executive staff of SEIU 32BJ including the President of the Union. This position is a key part of the overall administrative team of the Executive Office and collaborates with other administrative staff across the organization to execute logistical and administrative protocols. The Executive Assistant will be assigned full responsibility for projects related to conferences, conventions, training's and Executive Board meetings.
· Working with external and internal parties to plan and execute a variety of meetings and special projects: reserving rooms, extending invitations, preparing audio/visual support, assembling materials to distribute, catering, on-site troubleshooting, and administrative follow-up.
· Working with professionals both inside and outside the Union to make and confirm appointments, host visitors, screen phone calls, and maintain the integrity of the daily schedule.
· Coordinating and completing assigned special projects related to conferences, conventions, trainings and Executive Board Meetings.
· Administrative tasks, such as: filing regular expense reports, preparing and coding monthly expense reports, arranging executive travel, processing invoice payments and other tasks as assigned.
· Handling member mail and phone inquiries. Alerting appropriate staff members for actions and monitoring the follow-up.
· Fill-in for the Administrative Assistant as needed.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of two years’ relevant experience in a senior professional office environment required, including project management and managing logistics for large-scale meetings or conferences.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including effective business writing.
· Willingness and ability to work outside of core business hours as needed, including occasional weekends and holidays.
· Effective troubleshooting, the ability to both anticipate and find solutions to developing problems.
· Computer skills including Microsoft Office Word (must know mail merge function), Publisher, Outlook and PowerPoint; online travel booking engines (i.e. CONCUR Solutions), and ability to learn internal data systems. Advanced Excel skills required.
· Ability to adhere to established policies and procedures.
· Demonstrated ability handling confidential material and information in a professional manner.
· Ability to work as part of a team, as well as be a motivated self-starter.
· Strong interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to work with a diverse audience and treat members/workers with care, friendliness and compassion.
· Experience in labor, political or community organizing a plus.
· Experience with, and commitment to, social justice issues a plus.
· Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their qualified dependents, and retirement benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use the job title “Executive Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.