General Summary of the Position
The Controller will lead all the day-to-day accounting operations of 52 schools with an operating budget of approximately $340 million and supervise a team of 17 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, cash flow planning and eventually grants administration.
In addition to the day to day accounting of all the schools, the Controller will also be responsible for overseeing the accounting for approximately $400 million in real estate transactions that Uncommon develops, manages, and leases to its schools within its network.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be responsible for the oversight of all accounting and reporting activities for both the schools and all the real estate transactions. He/She will work closely with the entire Financial Management team and Home Office personnel and school based teams. The Controller will be involved in presentations to the board, finance, audit committee, and lenders and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements,
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions to ensure fidelity of data and timely monthly and year-end reporting as the organization continues to grow,
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep CFO abreast of the financial status and cash flow projections,
- Develop, analyze, and make recommendations relating to accounting and financial data processing systems to ensure effective and efficient financial operations,
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), as well as Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) pronouncements,
- Oversee all program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period,
- Oversee the payroll process internally and with external provider,
- Expertise in real estate finance accounting,
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations,
- Oversee the full coordination of all the audits and the gathering of required audit information, 990 preparations and filing activity,
- Obtain clean audits for each entity each financial year, and
- Maintain continuous lines of communication and keep the CFO informed of all accounting issues.
- Leverage strengths of the current accounting team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
Skills and Qualifications
- BA/BS degree in Accounting. CPA required.
- Public accounting experience required.
- Minimum of 12-15 years experience with at least 5 years experience in a senior management role. Proven working experience as a financial controller.
- Non-profit sector experience required.
- Experience in K-12 education preferred but not required.
- Superior detail orientation balanced with the ability to see the “big picture”.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative team environment.
- Proven track record of success managing and coaching others.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply Here: https://uncommonschools.secure.force.com/careers/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0x0G00001PpHt0QAF&tSource=