9th Grade Language Arts and Writing Educator/ Instructor
- Job posted by Liberty LEADS in New York City
Part Time Temporary Contract
Details: HOULY PAID STARTING AT $25 / HOUR
610 West 112th street
Liberty LEADS is a NYC-based college access program that has been serving over 200 underrepresented youth between 5th and 12th grade each year since 1989. Liberty LEADS was founded to empower youth by helping them attain higher education, embrace leadership engagement, and create a positive future for themselves and others. Liberty LEADS provides an alternative learning environment in which young people can experience success as learners and increase their ability and motivation to graduate from high school and seek entry into postsecondary education and/or meaningful employment. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
The Summer Institute explores the theme of “Hidden Knowledges.” The activities students will take on throughout the summer program will highlight leadership, collaboration, and community while developing critical social justice lens through Language Arts and Writing. Through the Language Arts and Writing class, instructors should delve into the theme and provide students with tools need to be critical of the world around them and provide a project based learning experience for students. Students should explore three critical questions (Where am I from? Where am I? Where am I going?) in an integrative and exciting way. Examples of successful proposals have included: Lessons Learned from Writers of Color, Student-led Social Movements, Writing and Hip Hop, Social Media and Story Curations.
Liberty LEADS is looking for educators who are energetic, creative, and professionally mature individuals who enjoy working with youth during the summer. If you are looking to be part of the Liberty LEADS supportive and dynamic team and have an innovative curriculum to share please review the duties and qualifications below and apply.
Programming begins July 2, 2018 and will meet the first week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (Wednesday July 4th National Holiday),and continues for the remainder of July meeting Monday through Thursday. Required hours are 9:00 am to 3:30pm. All applicants must be able to work the entire program and willing to accompany students on field trips. Salary is commensurate with experience and available funding. Mandatory Teacher Orientation & training will take place in June, date TBA.
- Create and follow through on a proposal and curriculum
- Provide individual support to students
- Provide step by step instruction in small group setting (10-15 students)
- Employ successful classroom and behavior management skills
- Collaborate with 9th grade level instructors
- Reflect upon practice with supervisor daily and adapt to challenges
- Participate/ chaperone student outings
- Bachelor or Graduate degree in related field
- Experience working with 9th Graders in an after school, leadership program, summer program or school setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of child development
- Experience planning and implementing curriculum in group settings
- Experience running activity based adolescent groups a plus
- Compensation commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward cover letter and resume to:Marisol Saks, Operations Manager - Banks Street College of Education - Liberty Leads, firstname.lastname@example.org & apply through the Bank Street website. Street New York, NY 10025