Providence House, Inc. is a value driven not-for-profit organization focused on assisting women and families in building community and transforming their lives. The agency is committed to promoting wholeness and healing while offering quality evidence based services to women and children who find themselves homeless and/or involved with the criminal justice system. Providence House follows a trauma based practice model. Providence House was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1979 and continues to hold the values of non-violence, compassion, hospitality and community at its core. Providence House actively seeks to provide support, training and opportunities that foster growth and well-being for its staff as well as the women and families served.
The Director of Operations serves as an integral part of the management team, assuming responsibility for all aspects of agency-wide operations. This person will implement efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization. They will work to continually enhance the infrastructure of the agency to help to further and deepen the impact of programmatic services delivered. Specifically, the person will oversee building systems, maintenance operations, 24/7 security across all facilities, human resources and administration including IT, telecom and contingency functionality during emergencies.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
Operations and Maintenance
- Oversees all operations and building systems as they relate to Providence House facilities. This includes preventative, routine and requested maintenance as well as being available on call 24/7 for building or systems emergencies.
- Plans and coordinates a short and long term preventative maintenance program for the purpose of ensuring all buildings are in a safe condition and up to code.
- Assist in the development of Maintenance and Building Operations policies and procedures.
- Plan oversee and execute all renovation projects including capital projects and replacement needs due to depreciation.
- Serve as the project manager working with construction companies, architects and other external entities on projects across the agency.
- Ensure that each site has an up to date building manual, critical file and operations plan
- Facilitate and respond to any building or facility inspection from external entities such as OTDA, DOB, FDNY, HPD, etc.
- Interface with external entities to track inspections, mitigate and findings and close out open items.
- Represent the agency as needed in court to mitigate building violations.
- Create and implement a calendar of annual facility compliance milestones.
- Maintain robust relationships with outside vendors including but not limited to security companies, IT vendors, telecom vendors and property managers at supportive housing sites.
- Research, negotiate and execute contracts with external vendors that present the most favorable terms from a cost and service perspective to the agency.
- Research, assess and evaluate the different types of insurance coverage across the agency.
- Assist in the development of the annual maintenance and operations budget and manages the unit to keep expenses within the annual budget amounts.
- Serve as the main liaison with the Brooklyn Diocese on leased properties.
- Supervise the Director of Maintenance and Building Operations.
Human Resources and Administration
- Oversee the Director of Human Resources and Administration.
- Ensure human resource activities including recruitment, hiring, employment processing, orientation and onboarding, safety & health, employee relations and retention, training and development, records management, succession planning, HR compliance, labor relations, benefits and compensation are all functioning efficiently.
- Reviews and assists in compiling administrative policies and procedures.
- Prepares and coordinates the agency disaster recovery plan.
- Oversees the IT operations for the agency including interfacing with the vendor on necessary projects and upgrades to ensure IT systems are reliable, secure and adequate.
- Oversees the telecom operations for the agency to ensure continuity of services.
- Completes an annual assessment of all major agency systems including but not limited to: payroll, finance, HR, client data development and CCTV.
- Ensures a continuity plan is in place for all facilities that ensures safety, coverage and service delivery during emergencies.
- Effectively use and practice Sanctuary Models tools; safety plans, community meetings, psycho-educational groups, team meetings, red flags reviews, and self-care in the program to create a non-violent and trauma sensitive culture.
- Promote and model the core values of Providence House Mission (Compassion, Non-Violence, Hospitality, and Community) and the Seven Sanctuary Model Commitments to create a non-violent and trauma sensitive culture.
- Integrate the Sanctuary Model SELF (Safety, Emotional Management, Loss and Future) framework into daily practice to ensure quality care and an effective work environment.
- Serves as an integral member of the Senior Management Team..
- Works closely with the Executive Director on key organizational and strategic planning matters.
- Participates in administrative meetings and carries out decisions and outcomes.
- Meets for regular supervision with Director of HR and Admin and the Director of Maintenance and Building Operations.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters preferred.
- Five years of experience Facilities Management and/or Operations.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to use considerable judgment, initiative and independence
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent Computer skills
- Ability to Travel Within the NYC area
- Compatible philosophy with Providence House’s mission.
- Position requires travel within Brooklyn, Queens and Westchester
- Valid driver’s license a plus
- The Director of Operations is a full time, salaried position. Hours worked will be weekdays at least 9:00a.m.- 5:00p.m. or at a mutually agreed-upon schedule. Evening and/or weekend work also may be required. Regular daily (work week) presence is required.
- Must be available 24/7 for emergencies.
- The central administration office is located in Brooklyn, New York