This is not just a job opportunity, this is an opportunity to transform lives!
Reporting to the Director of Editorial Services for Advancement, the Major Donor & Advancement Writer produces ministry reports and proposals for major donors and other support collateral as assigned. These materials, often presented by the organization’s fundraisers, strengthen Bible League International’s (BLI) relationships with donors. As such, the position is integral to meeting BLI’s Development income goals. Finished writing projects should clearly demonstrate a solid grasp of BLI’s mission and ministry programs and the donor’s impact.
In addition to creating compelling proposals and reports for donors, the writer’s duties may include editing, proofreading, research, and other writing projects as assigned. The Major Donor & Advancement Writer must demonstrate attention to detail, be well organized, and be able to work both independently and collaboratively. The writer must be able to handle confidential information with a high level of integrity, prioritize, be dependable, and manage a robust workload. Fluency in English and Spanish is required for this position.
- Write reports and proposals for major donors. These materials are key to helping fundraisers to build and maintain strong relationships with the organization’s donors and to assist in their donor cultivation cycle efforts. Research, writing, and other creative skills may all be part of this process.
- Write for projects related to Advancement channels as assigned. These may include, but are not limited to newsletters, articles for print and online, weekly ministry impact updates, and customized proposals and reports for foundations and/or executive-level donors. These are primarily in English and occasionally in Spanish.
- Achieve quality results by following writing standards for readability, consistency, BLI messaging and tone, and templates for continuity. For certain projects, the writer may be asked to select photos to accompany the text.
- Collaborate with the Global Communications team, assisting in developing communications material related to BLI’s United States Ministries and Latin American Ministries as well as translating some material received from BLI’s Latin American partners.
- Stay up-to-date with program developments, news, and events in BLI’s Latin America and US Ministries (and any other assigned territories), helping to provide context and to ensure that the excitement of these ministries is captured in stories about BLI projects.
- Direct, produce, and gather resources from the field in collaboration with partners and staff colleagues. This includes traveling to the field to report stories.
- Meet deadlines for projects as assigned.
- Follow and contribute to the Communication Specialists’ peer review process as time allows.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Responsible to: Director of Editorial Services for Advancement.
Collaborate with: Staff writers, Communications Specialists, Development team members, and other BLI staff and partners as needed.
- Must be a Christian, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Must also agree with our statement of faith and conduct his/herself in a Christ-like manner.
- Proven track record of producing donor-centric communications. Familiar with major donor fundraising and/or able to quickly learn about major donor issues, trends, and developments.
- Bachelors or higher degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or English is preferred, and/or comparable experience and skills.
- At least 3 years of experience writing specifically for not-for-profit fundraising, as well as a variety of media—print and electronic for different audiences and/or marketing collateral, magazine/newspaper/web stories, proposals, ads, reports, etc.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in conducting interviews for human-interest stories.
- Cross-cultural experience working with International organization strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Able to transform complex and often complicated material into highly readable, detailed, and inspiring cases for support of BLI.
- Ability to translate complex information into clear jargon-free language that conveys key messages, including:
- fluent use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax;
- fluent use of Spanish conversational language, grammar, punctuation, and syntax;
- ability to learn subject-specific terminology for use in developing written materials.
- Flexible, responsive, and able to balance a variety of activities while meeting deadlines, producing the highest quality of work.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent research skills, ability to prioritize writing assignments, and manage a varied and vigorous workload.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word.
- Experience and understanding of the overall process/elements of donor communications.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
Standards of Performance
- Final drafts/copy of print-ready material should be free of errors and consistent with Bible League International standards of communications.
- The material should be prepared in a creative, persuasive style appropriate to the intended audiences and objectives as provided by the Director of Editorial Services for Advancement.
- Deadlines must be met or changes to assigned deadlines must be secured from the Director of Editorial Services for Advancement for assigned reports and proposals.
- Utilize time responsibly for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in producing high-quality materials that clearly communicate the global mission of Bible League International and the donor’s impact of lives around the world through the gift of God’s Word.
- Participate in departmental training and professional development exercises as assigned. Attend conferences, classes, and seminars as appropriate.
- Demonstrate a consistent attitude of cooperation with all staff, both in the U.S. and overseas.
- In day-to-day responsibilities, this position will carry out Bible League International’s core values which are:
- We believe this ministry belongs to God.
- We believe the world needs a relationship with Jesus Christ, God’s Word, more than anything.
- We believe integrity is the foundation of all our decisions and actions.
- We believe we are accountable to God and people to steward wisely the resources God entrusts to us.
- We believe that building strong relationships with our colleagues, ministry partners, donors, and vendors is essential to the fulfillment of our ministry commitments.
- We believe that all our employees should be valued and respected.
- We believe that all our employees should be encouraged in their faith-walk and professional growth and development.
- We believe that innovation and adaptability are essential for efficient and effective ministry.
A performance appraisal will be conducted after the initial 90 days and 6 months of a new position and annually thereafter by the Director of Editorial Services for Advancement. A revision to a current position description does not necessarily require an additional performance appraisal.
Bible League International offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including a generous 401k plan. As a part of our Statement of Faith BLI champions the training and professional of our employees. If you want to learn more about this exciting role or if you would like to apply (resume required and cover letter encouraged), please visit our application site here.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Bible League International is a nonprofit, non-denominational, faith-based organization. Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act Section 702, the Bible League has the right to hire only candidates who agree with Bible League's Statement of Faith and profess Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.