Details: Commensurate with experience
New York Public Radio's mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the soul more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
WQXR is the #1 classical radio station in the United States, reaching millions of listeners monthly via terrestrial radio, digital streaming, and social media. Our mission is to build a movement that redefines what classical music is, invites a larger, more diverse audience into its magic, and fortifies cultural and performing arts institutions here in New York, and nationally, by encouraging our audience to leave their phones and see music live.
We will do this by bringing our strengths in curation and story about classical music to digital platforms, continuing to evolve our radio programs, and expanding our portfolio of live events, talks, festivals, and concerts.
The Product Design Lead has a consistent track record of exceptional strategic and design thinking, and proven expertise in usability. They should have a strong eye for typography, layout, and color and should be experienced in agile processes, including cross-collaboration with business stakeholders, leadership, product owners, QA, and developers. Your role will be at the core of defining WQXR’s online presence.
This role reports into the Digital Design & UX Director and is part of our digital team. Our digital team is constantly iterating, solving problems, and working to empower New Yorkers to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help New Yorkers enrich their lives and their neighborhoods — we're just getting started.
- Lead projects that involve various stages of user experience design
- Facilitate ideation to building high fidelity designs and prototypes to testing and iterating
- Demonstrate enough technical platform knowledge to facilitate crafting for scalability and ease of maintenance.
- Channel the greater NYPR product design strategy in everything we do at WQXR.
Necessary skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in design-related field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience crafting complex digital applications and websites.
- Familiarity and/or experience with design systems
- Familiar with user research methods
- Expertise in a broad range of design skills including visual design and UI design. Extensive experience creating wireframes, prototypes, and high-resolution designs.
- Expertise in Sketch, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Experience with prototyping tools a plus.
- Real passion for user-centered design.
- Experience working directly with developers to ensure the successful implementation of a design specification.
- Experience designing for various devices and enough technical knowledge to understand the best strategies for responsive design.
- A strong design portfolio.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to manage shifting priorities
- Experience with usability testing.
- Background in designing for audio or media preferred.
You should respond to WNYC with a portfolio or links to examples of work when completing the application.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
Minimum Education Required