Details: Competitive based on experience
2750 Jackson Street
Town School for Boys, a K-8 Independent Day School located in San Francisco, is seeking applicants for the Extended Day Study Hall Teacher position for the 2018-19 school year August 29, 2018 - June 11, 2019 (training TBD.)
Since its founding in 1939, Town School is committed to providing a dynamic and engaging environment that suits the developmental learning needs of boys. An intensive academic program is supplemented by fine arts offerings and outdoor education trips that take advantage of the school's Bay Area coastal location. Town School values academic excellence, respect for self and others, diversity and inclusivity, service learning, and character development. Town places a high value on maintaining a creative, collegial atmosphere among faculty members. There is an expectation of continuous growth and improvement for all faculty and strong support for a wide range of professional development opportunities.
This is a part-time position Monday-Friday, 10-15 hours per week, competitive pay, and commuter benefits.
This position report to the Director of After School Programs.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
● Collaborate with Lead Teacher and Director of After School Programs to provide a superior after school experience for Town's students
● Supervise 1st - 8th grade students in a semi-quiet study hall where they are working on homework, long-term projects, and educational games and projects on days when they have no homework
● Assist students in need of help with homework as needed
● Provide playground supervision in the Extended Day Program (grades K-4) prior to study hall program starting
● Provide leadership, energy, and spirit for students, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual students
● Provide excellent customer service to families by communicating with them about their student's experience
● Attend training and meetings as required
● Must be eligible to work in the United States, be able to pass a criminal background check, and provide TB Risk Assessment Questionnaire completed by a licensed health care provider
● Must demonstrate reliable attendance
● Strong classroom management skills
● Commitment to educational programming for children
● Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
● Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
● Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
● Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
● Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
● Must be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
● Must enjoy working with children
● 1 year of experience with school-age children
● Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a similar field preferred, but not required
Non-Discrimination Policy: Town School for Boys admits students of any race, color, religion, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school-administered programs. Town School for Boys is an equal opportunity employer. Salary and benefits are commensurate with our peer schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and with like NAIS schools
Town School for Boys Mission: At Town School learning is prized, love of school is essential, and boyhood is celebrated.
Statement of Teaching Philosophy: Our goal is for each boy to be engaged in an environment that weaves together collaboration, critical thinking, integrity, empathy, and creativity. These broad skills, as well as a firm grounding in core academic competencies, offer boys an excellent preparation for their further education. We promote social and emotional learning as a foundation of academic excellence and self-discovery. We prepare students to meet challenges in the world by helping them develop an appreciation for a variety of perspectives from the local to the global. We celebrate diversity by fostering a community of learners built on mutual respect. Learning experiences are inclusive, relevant, flexible, innovative, and adapted to reflect the needs of all kinds of learners. In our joyful, active, and collaborative school, boys flourish. We achieve these goals through an authentic curriculum that originates in the classroom, travels through the halls, and extends into the world. Our teaching balances traditional methods with key student-centered approaches including inquiry, project-based learning, and teaching for understanding. We stay relevant and current through our testing of innovative, research-based approaches. We model a commitment to lifelong learning, and we hone our craft by pursuing professional development and sharing knowledge with one another.
Town School for Boys provides commuter benefits for this position and sick time accrual.
Minimum Education Required