Intro/Program Description: TOP Opportunities is a program of Goddard Riverside Community Center that provides vocational training and job placement to prepare underemployed adults for success in the workplace. The population served is adults with severe and persistent mental illness with co-occurring barriers to employment, including long term homelessness, substance abuse, learning disabilities and justice histories.
Purpose of Position: The employment specialist is responsible for career exploration, vocational assessments and counseling, preparing individuals for employment, job search and interview preparation, developing internship and employment opportunities, job coaching and job retention supports, benefits advisement and delivering work readiness training.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- Conduct vocational assessments, individual/group counseling, job development, job coaching, and benefits’ assistance
- Provide intensive pre-vocational supports and job retention services for individuals/groups
- Develop internships and competitive job placements in the community
- Maintain on-going contact with employers, and perform site visits.
- Carry a caseload and maintain case notes and service plans in AWARDS and other data base systems.
- Prepare all mandated reporting as required by supervisor, contract agency and funding agency
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred or a Bachelor’s degree together with 4 years’ experience with the population served
- Valid driver’s license and a driving record that meets the agency’s auto insurance guidelines (including at least one year of driving experience and no suspensions within the last 3 years)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Experience working with the seriously and persistently mentally ill Individuals
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong belief in rehabilitation and recovery
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be:
- Able to work in the Microsoft Office Suite, should especially be proficient in Word, Outlook and Excel
- Able to use or learn to use AWARDS database
- Able to use or learn other electronic databases, programs, and funder-related software as needed
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 lbs
- Must be able to conduct visits of job sites
- Frequent walking between work sites
- Job coaching conducted at client work sites including outdoors with Green Keepers Social Enterprise Business
Minimum Education Required