30 Courthouse Square
DC-MD JFON is seeking highly qualified candidates for a part-time Legal Assistant position based in Rockville, MD. The position will start at three days or 24 hours per week, with the possibility of an increase to full-time. The Legal Assistant will assist with both administrative tasks, such as answering phones, scheduling clients, and managing office mailing; and with substantive legal tasks, such as assisting the attorney in preparing applications such as work permits, family-based petitions, humanitarian relief, and immigration court cases. The Legal Assistant will also assist with interpretation and translation.
· Schedule potential and current clients for appointments at clinics and the office
· Respond to phone calls, voicemails, emails, and faxes
· Collect and process incoming mail, and prepare packages for mailing
· Maintain and update confidential client database and client files
· Manage Volunteer Database with attorney and schedule volunteers
· Manage Interpreter/Translator Database and schedule interpreters/translators
· Perform other administrative duties as assigned by the Attorney
· Assist in preparing immigration applications to be filed with USCIS including family-based petitions, work permits, naturalization, adjustment of status, waivers, asylum, U visas, T visas, TPS, DACA, etc.
· Serve as Spanish/English interpreter (oral) and translator (written) as needed
· Meet with clients to prepare and review certain applications for filing
· Assist in preparing submissions for immigration court
· Referrals: help clients find and access holistic social and other services, such as medical and mental health services, English as a second language (ESL) classes, transportation, non-immigration legal services referrals, community or religious services, childcare, etc.
· Optional: assist with delivering Know Your Rights presentations and attend clinics
Resource Development and Outreach (as time permits)
· Help attorney update, develop, and distribute client resources such as guides and Know Your Rights information
· Maintain and update website and Facebook page
· Update brochure and other outreach materials
· Assist with Know Your Rights presentations
The ideal candidate should meet the following requirements:
· Minimal one year of recent legal assistant or paralegal experience in family-based immigration, removal defense, or humanitarian relief is required.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish; must be bilingual and able to interpret and translate.
· Strong organizational skills, ability to manage caseload, deadlines, and other tasks simultaneously.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and basic legal case management software.
· Ability to pay keen attention to detail.
· Must be reliable, have a professional demeanor and strong cross-cultural competency.
· Must be able to maintain confidential client information.
· Experience working with vulnerable populations is preferred
The Legal Assistant should have a strong commitment to public interest law and to the enfranchisement and empowerment of immigrant communities. DC-MD JFON is not just a legal services program, but a faith-based ministry of service involving many diverse individuals, cultures, and faiths who come together through The United Methodist Church* to welcome immigrants to our community. As such, the Legal Assistant should have an ability to work sensitively with numerous volunteers and clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, political orientations, and faiths.
A Simple IRA with a 2.5-3% match is offered for retirement
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in reading and writing English and Spanish is required
Minimum Education Required