330 Ellis Street
The Preschool Teacher (childcare) is responsible for supporting and assisting teaching staff in the daily operations of a preschool/toddler program. This includes ensuring the health and safety of program participants, and promoting their growth and development by providing high quality, age, developmental, and culturally appropriate curriculum and activities. The Teacher is responsible for complying with, and ensuring compliance with CA Community Care Licensing, Department of Social Services requirements. Regular and predictable attendance is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties can be assigned, and the duties and responsibilities of the job are subject to change without notice.
§ Maintain a nurturing environment, supporting the individual development of each child by ensuring a child-centered approach, e.g., children are always allowed to choose the areas they desire to learn without restriction such as: closing off a space, restricting a child from an area, using timeout as a discipline instead of redirection;
- Maintain safe and clean classrooms and building. Follow all safety procedures, indoors and outdoors. Communicate all problems/concerns to the Lead Teacher or other appropriate staff;
- Establish/maintain productive relationships with parents/guardians. Actively encourage parents/guardians/families to participate in FYCC events;
- Assist Lead Teacher in preparing documentation and meeting reporting requirements. Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with all regulations: Dept. of Education, Title 22 and Title V, Head Start, Preschool for All, Dept. of Children, Youth and Families, the Child Care Food Program, etc;
- Conduct quarterly developmental assessments portfolios and Parent Conferences;
- Assist children with their daily needs and be attentive to age group and development level, e.g., sit with children on the floor during floor activities and in chairs during table activities. Ensure other caregivers interact with children appropriately;
- Help with meal serving and cleanup. Assist children with meals in keeping with Family Style Serving Childcare Food Program requirements;
§ Ensure children are assisted with daily hygiene:
- Do diaper changes on the diaper changing table
- Assist children with hand washing and tooth brushing
- Assist (model for them) children in cleaning their play areas
§ Always observe the daily health conditions of the children and make appropriate decisions regarding attendance by following all health and safety procedures for illnesses and communicable diseases;
- Willingness to assist with responsibilities attributed to the daily operation of center compliance and quality care; laundry, loading and unloading the dishwasher, general clean up with/after the children;
- Adhere to all laws and requirements regarding confidentiality, professional ethics, child protective services, contractual agreements, etc;
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, attending and actively participating in staff and individual meetings and trainings.
§ When Lead Teacher is not present, supervise Teacher’s Assistants, volunteers and/or interns
- Actively uses “Learning Strategies,” and multiple approaches when teaching new skills;
- Uses age, developmental, and culturally appropriate curriculum/lesson plans and activities;
- This person is reflective. S/he thinks about and reflects on their students, methods, materials, and their personal behavior and effectiveness. This person models appropriate interactions, including factual commenting, redirecting behavior, and problem solving;
- Enjoys working as team member. Understands when to consult and ask for guidance, and is responsible for own involvement as a contributing member of a positive, cooperative environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, and exercises sound judgment;
- Makes appropriate decisions and follows health and safety procedures for preschoolers/toddlers at all times. Demonstrates knowledge of childhood communicable illnesses;
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect children, equipment, materials, and facilities;
- Demonstrates Cultural Humility. Has the ability to work effectively across cultures. Demonstrates a commitment to learning, communicating and working respectfully with people different from themselves;
- Commitment to the mission, values and philosophy of Glide.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must pass Tuberculosis and Dept. of Justice Fingerprint screening;
- Must have or acquire MMR & Tdap immunizations and annual Flu vaccination;
- High School Diploma/GED and 12 Core ECE units required;
- 1+ years’ experience teaching targeted age group. Enjoys interacting with preschoolers/toddlers. Relates to them in age, developmental, and culturally appropriate terms.
LICENSES, PROFESSIONAL DEGREES, CERTIFICATES:
- CA Dept. of Education Associate Teachers’ permit with continued eligibility for renewal and/or upgrade of permit to remain qualified for position;
- Must have/complete CPR and First Aid training.
- Proficiency in a second language desired;
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required. Demonstrates ability to communicate, reason and consistently interact in a professional, patient and sensitive manner with culturally, economically, and racially diverse program participants and staff;
- Proficiency in grammar, spelling and writing are necessary to write lesson plans, documentation and reports.
- Basic mathematical skills including the ability to use addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and percentages are required
- Basic computer skills, ability to use MS Office applications
The physical demands described here is representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision corrected in normal range;
- Hearing corrected in normal range. Ability to communicate in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking;
- Working with children involves extensive physical activity, mental alertness, and enthusiasm. Good general health, physical stamina and emotional stability are essential;
- Ability to reach by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers, for example, equipment/tools typically found in a childcare and youth center;
§ The employee is required to accompany program participants to off-site locations and to participate in indoor and outdoor activities and field trips. Must possess the ability to safely interact with traffic as a pedestrian;
§ Ability to sit/stand for minimum periods of one hour, and come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day. Activities that occur frequently are: repetitive/long periods of standing, walking, being on a child’s level to attend to their needs by bending and kneeling, twisting, and lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds.
§ Ability to move quickly to address emergency or potentially dangerous situations.
The work environment described here is representative of that which an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fast paced, with frequent interruptions, crowded, childcare and youth center with large inside and outside play areas. Must be willing and able to work outdoors;
- Noise level is moderate to noisy, and lighting is conducive to completion of work;
- GLIDE’s buildings are located in the Tenderloin. Due to our surroundings, it is important to always be aware of what’s going on around you while walking around the neighborhood.
GLIDE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, disability, or sexual orientation. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. People of color, differently-abled people and LGBT persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume for immediate consideration. Help us get to know you by including a note about yourself, plus any additional info that might be relevant!